From:
Betsy Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Betsy Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 2004 15:45:10 -0500

Listmates:

Thanks to Nancy for posting the note about the Carrabba's GF menu in
the new GIG publication.  Do visit the website.  The menu and GF menu
are there.

The founders, Johnny Carrabba and Damian Mandola, do a cooking show
on PBS, Cucina Amore.  You can check the website for stations and
airing times. http://www.carrabbas.com/   They have a new cookbook,
Ciao Sicily, with recipes from the PBS show.  Their first cookbook
was Ciao Y'all.  The Founders are going to be doing their first class
at Central Market Cooking Schools in Austin, Houston, and San
Antonio,Texas.  Information is on their homepage.

SOME THOUGHTS given all of the recent publicity related to celiac
disease and the current food labeling bill:
-Wouldn't it be great if one, or more, of the Cucina Amore PBS
cooking shows would feature a GF menu that everyone would like.
Celiacs and support groups could help publicize such a show.
-A GF Central Market Cooking School class that featured them doing a
GF menu--could be in Austin, San Antonio, and Houston.  All of those
cities have an active celiac community.  There are Central Market
Cooking Schools in Dallas and Ft. Worth too.  The Austin CMCS offers
GF cooking classes regularly with a wonderful chef from the Cooking
School staff.   I am sure any GF class would appeal to others too.

POSSIBLE ACTIONS:

-Individuals contact GIG (http://www.gluten.net) and Carrabba's
(http://www.carrabbas.com) and thank them for doing the GF menu.
Contact information is on the websites.
-Plan to try Carrabba's individually, or in GF eating out groups, and
let the individual restaurant know that you appreciate the GF menu.
-Contact Carrabba's about the possibility of doing a show, or shows,
featuring a GF menu on PBS, Cucina Amore.   Let GIG know that you
have done this.  GIG has an established working relationship with
Carrabba's and could be helpful in making this a reality.
-Those who live near a Central Market Cooking School and who would
seriously consider attending a GF class, contact your CMCS and
suggest the class.   The CMCS classes are wonderful and you get to
sample each recipe--you won't leave hungry.  I attend a lot of them
in Austin and they are all a great experience and I have learned a
lot.  The cost is reasonable.
http://www.centralmarket.com/cm/cmContact.jsp

Let me know if you have other ideas, reactions, or suggestions.  Thanks.

Betsy            NOTE:  I have no financial interest in Carrabba's or
in Central Market.
Austin, Texas