From:
Janine Choi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janine Choi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 14:22:46 -0700

Hi all:
I want to thank all of you who responded to my cruise questions.  We are so
excited and have planned a trip on the Princess Cruises for the Mexican
Riveria.  We ended up chosing this cruise b/c Princess has a gluten free
menu and since my son is 5 they will accomodate his dietary needs along with
the kids club activities.  I went thru a travel agent as it ended up about
the same price if I took into consideration shipboard credit and the
insurance through the travel agent was better and cheaper.  Besides, I need
someone to call in case there are problems and so far things look great.

The overall summary was Disney, Holland America, Princess and Celebrity
Cruise lines were good.  There were mixed reviews on RCCL and others.  This
is summary 1:

----------------------
I hear Holland Cruises stocks Kinnikinnick breads.  Also I hear Disney
cruises are as accomodating as their park.  Have fun!
----------------------
Check the archives. I posted awhile back about our cruise on Princes to
the Caribbean. Since then others have done so too. All agreed that the
cruise was a snap. The head waiter bent over backwards to help me. He
gave the next day's menu the night before and I selected what I wanted.
The chef altered the recipe to be gf. I had no problems what-so-ever.

Eating in port is another issue. Most Carribbean countries don't know
what gluten is. Either eat "normal" food or bring your own.
-------------------------
I've been on Carnival and Princess.  I had the best experience with
Princess.  Each night, they baked me a fresh loaf of rice bread.  Also, I
would be shown the menus for the following night and I would request what I
wanted and they would make it gluten free.  I had a wonderful experience.
At the ports, it was more difficult and I either would eat on the ship or
would just do without.  You can't take any food off the ship.  My experience
with Carnival was not nearly as good, but not a problem either.
-------------------------
I was VERY pleased with Celebrity Cruise line.  I let them know soon as we
made our reservations that I would need a gf diet...every evening at dinner
they brought me my own small loaf of freshly baked gf bread!  The waiter
would bring me the menu and point out to me which dishes could be made safe
for me...even had choices on desserts on several evenings!  I was in heaven.
There are several places to eat on the ship...but when we needed to eat in
the buffet line one day so we could make one of our excursion trips the head
waiter there talked to the chef in the kitchen and came out with my own
specially prepared chicken breast.
I will tell you that I do not have a reaction when I accidentally ingest
gluten...but to my knowledge everything they served me was fine.
I did try and avoid eating ashore when possible ( you've already paid for
the meals on ship!), but sometimes it was unavoidable, so I just ordered the
safest things I could.
We have organized and enjoyed family cruises with ages ranging from 1
yrs to 82.  The children had celiac.  We have been very very happy with
RCCL.  They have been very friendly & helpful.  The food is delicious
and they were very careful with cross contamination issues.