From:
Susan Crunkleton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan Crunkleton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 2004 08:20:06 -0800

I had a lot of responses on this one.  The answers ranged from yes, all products in this group are GF to no, be cautious of all products!  Most answers fell in the safe, moderate range... check your ingredients.  The most common questionable ingredients to look for were modified food starch and natural flavorings.  One person wrote in and said that dye was often added to butter, but that companies were not required to list the dye as an ingredient... this was the only not so obvious questionable ingredient.  The bottom line is to treat these products as we do all others - check the ingredients and call about all questionable ones.  The following products were considered safe by many:  Land of Lakes butter, Smart Balance margarine, Take Control margarine, Benecol, Canola Harvest margarine,  Fleishchmanns margarine, Breakstone sour cream and cottage cheese, and Daisy Sour Cream.  I called the dietician at Kroger (1-866-632-6900) and she said that all Kroger butter, margarine, sour
 cream, and cottage cheese products are GF; and if modified food starch is listed in any of these products, it will be derived from corn.
Thanks for all your advice - Susan