Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 20:03:39 EST

Kellogg's change in Corn Pops is NOT a big deal. In fact, they just inproved
the health of those celiacs who had been eating Corn Pops. Kellogg's has had
contamination issues w/ Pops since they discontinued their dedicated production
line close to 10 years ago. My kids, now young adults, refused to eat them
then & now, and a call to the company would have alerted those to the risk of
contaimation.   Adding wheat starch will keep celiacs from assuming that they
are g.f.--and eating a previously unsafe food. Kellogg's liability will be
reduced since they aren't able to guarantee a safe manufacturing environment, plus
they will now long have to take phone calls from celiacs.

It it interesting to note that NO Kellogg's products are listed at either of
online g.f. commercial product websites--
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/start
www.gfcfdiet.com   (While this one is for parent of autistic children, gluten
contamination affects the behavior of these children and can be more evident &
 immediate than GI symptoms are for many with celiac.)

Malt-O-Meal Corn Bursts are on both their g.f. lists.  You can also check the
Malt-O-Meal website's Q & A at www.malt-o-meal.com  for a list of their g.f.
cereal. I think the Corn Bursts taste better anyway--Not as sweet & they stay
crisper longer.  (They also make a totally decadent 'Puppy Chow'.  (Recipe at
the end)  Lobby your store to carry this brand instead.  According to their
website, M-O-M is the 5th largest cereal manufacturer in the US.

If you want to contact a company, contact Malt-O-Meal and ask them about the
possibility of making a plain crisp rice cereal.  Since they already make a
malt-free one that they coat w/ cocoa or fruit flavor, a plain one shouldn't be
a great stretch & would be a big hit w/ the celiacs who now pay $7-$8 a bag
for a similar g.f. product from Canada.

Support the companies that are celiac friends, don't bother with those who
don't care, except to say "Sorry you can't provide a gluten-free product.  Glad
to say M-O-M does.  I'll be buying that from now on, not only for myself but
the rest of my family as well.  Your inaction for 1celiac has cost you business
for my 5 family members, and other family & friends who are interested in my
good health."  If you want companies to listen, you have to talk GREEN.

Bev Lieven
Milwaukee

G.F. Puppy Chow  (Original recipe on the Twix cereal box)

Melt: 1-12 oz. bag chocolate chips
              Nestles, Hershey
           1/ 2 c. peanut butter
Add: 1 small bag Malto-O-Meal Corn Bursts
or  box of Rice or Corn Crunch-em  cereal

Mix until well coated.  Place in a covered bowl or a 2-gallon food storage
bag with 2 cups powdered sugar.  Shake until is covers the cereal evenly.  Store
in a tight covered container or ziplock bag in the refrigerator.