From:
Lori Kelley-Mull <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lori Kelley-Mull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 May 2004 14:23:13 -0400

Hi listmates,
Thanks for all your suggestions about nutitrious morning drinks.  Here are the replies I received:

try Genisoy protein shakes.  The powder comes in numerous flavors, but we prefer vanilla.  In the blender with ice, banana, orange juice and soy milk - awesome! and it has "staying power" - keeps you full till lunch.  My husband lived on these before his diagnosis - before we knew about gluten free - and luckily it was!

The following info was from a message that I sent out to my support group
members on April 7, 2004: I spoke with a representative from Walgreens this morning and all flavors of the Walgreens Brand Nutrition and Nutrition Plus drinks are GF.  This would be their store brand of Ensure type products. I also received this tip from another listmate that she was told by a celiac
pharmacist that all Walgreens have a list of GF products in the store.  He said to tell them to look at RXnet.

i drink my breakfasts most mornings.
Fruit smoothie
mixed fruit, frozen (peaches, cantoloupe, honeydew, strawberries, pineapple,)
frozen blueberries
whey powder
oj, or any other fruit juice or liquid

one cup of fruit is plenty for one person.  microwave for 45 seconds on defrost.  this will save the blender from working too hard.  combine whey powder , fruit and juice in blender.  juice should just cover the fruit.  blend  and enjoy.
cindy in nc

I was diagnosed with celiac disease at age 38 (4 yrs ago).  At that time, I was 5"7 and barely weighed 100 lbs!  I knew I looked awful and have never suffered from an eating disorder.  Luckily, I found a WONDERFUL nutritional drink (and yes it is gluten/wheat free) - BOOST or BOOST PLUS.  I cannot tell you what a difference this 'drink' made for me as I got used to eating all this 'good' stuff on this difficult celiac diet!  Ugh!  Boost tastes great, especially the vanilla flavor, and I am happy to say since following the diet and drinking this drink at least 2-3 times per day I am happy at 125 lbs.!  People barely recognize me and cannot believe I was able to put on weight.  I was a hospice volunteer and one of my cancer patients I cared for drank Boost, I have him to thank.  I wouldn't have known about this if it weren't for him!  My dr. recommends it to his patients as well and tells me I have never looked healthier.  It's great too for times when you are running out the door to work or whatever and don't have time to eat!

I always really liked Boost supplements.  Especially good frozen--tasted
like a milk shake.  Good health to you!

Imagine Foods has a line of soy drinks called "Power Dream," all of which
are gluten free.  I had the "Java Jolt" flavor today, and it was really
good. See the website at  http://www.imaginefoods.com/pages/products/powerdream.php for more information.You will find that the statement that all flavors are GF on the page http://www.imaginefoods.com/pages/products/powerdream/pd_faq.php (It is the last question.)

i enjoy Atkins Advantage shakes - Cafe' au Lait is not only coffee,
but a "60 second meal." please check it out before trying.  each label may be different, or contact the company for verification.  i know there has been some discussion about gf status of different snack bars of the same make.

I make my own using the Whey protein powder from Wild Oats mixed with the
Soy Protein powder from either Trader Joes or Costco (the new one has Gluten
Free on the label!); mix with Soy Milk or Almond Milk from Pacific Foods,
some ripe fruit (whatever is around) and Nancy's Yogurt. If I'm really in a rush, I keep a supply of Equate Plus (the Walmart knockoff of Ensure Plus) around.  Also good for when I get glutenized and
can't seem to keep real food down for a while.

And that's it!  Thanks very much, everyone!  I will enjoy the smoothie recipes and the powered drink products everyone mentioned.  Can't wait to go shopping.
Lori