From:
Janet Rinehart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Rinehart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 08:49:10 -0600

    After I wrote to the writer of this Reuter article on Celiac Disease
and Schizophrenia (commenting on the terms "allergy" and "rare," I
received the following reply from the writer.  I will try to keep her
name on file and see what "new" items might be of interest.  You may
have some new medical articles that need to be highlighted. Please share
with me. Thanks.

    "Thank you for your helpful comments. Not being a scientist myself,
I quoted scientific sources for my article, so I think the best thing to
do is to is to refer you to the people who gave me the information and
if you feel it is false you could contact them directly. Coeliac disease
is described as an allergy on the UK medical website
<outbind://6/www.netdoctor.co.uk> www.netdoctor.co.uk:
<http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/glutenallergy.htm>
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/glutenallergy.htm .

    Regarding the rareness - that was based on a line in the British
Medical Journal: "The authors stress that this reflects a small
proportion of cases, since both disorders are rare." Maybe you would
like to contact one of the researchers who wrote the report directly to
discuss this matter: Prof. William Eaton Johns Hopkins University Tel.
+1 410 955 3923

    I hope that clarifies the issue; we use reliable sources for our
articles, but of course as non-experts we have to rely on what they tell
us and can only report what is passed on to us. I would be grateful if
you could let me know of any coeliac-related news you feel are
important."    Regards,  Sophie Hardach

Janet in Houston

Houston Celiac Support Group

www.houstonceliacs.org