From:
Dosha Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dosha Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 2004 16:28:29 -0500

Thank you for all your replies:

A few people asked me to summarize.

6 people told me to go to www.alamoceliac.org and click on defensive
dining.

2- said La Paloma Blanca on Broadway (gluten free menu on reg. menu)

3- said Outback

2- said Carraba's on I-10

2- said PF Chang's

1- said Chipotle

1- said Sun Harvest grocery store near Sea World

As far as Sea World is concerned:  the majority of people take their own
food and picnic.  Also, pay the extra $ for Shamu parking and it will be
more convenient to picnic.  One person said the fries are coated w/flour
and they ate a plain hamburger with a side of watermelon.  One person
called and talked to a food manager and was told that nothing a
t Sea World
was GF.

Here's what we did:  Our hotel was a suite w/a refrigerator.  We packed
some foods from home and bought a few more at a Whole Foods store.  My
husband and daughter are the celiacs.  We took a toaster and they had
breakfast in the room.  Some places we ate:  PF Chang's (no trouble), La
Paloma Blanca (no trouble) and Carraba's (TROUBLE).  We eat at a Carraba's
in Grapevine/Ft.Worth all the time w/o any problems.  I spoke to the
manager at the San Antonio Carraba's and explained EVERYTHING.  No grill
base, new utensils, etc. etc.  He was very happy to accomodate.  Well,
about 1 hour after eating the same thing she eats at the other Carraba's
she had diarrhea.  She had diarrhea 4 times that night, uncontrolled.  She
has continued to have diarrhea 7-8 times per day and it has been 6 days.
I called the manager that night to try and figure out what went wrong...

what they might have done differently... The only thing I can figure, he
used a cast iron skillet.  Now I just wonder how long her gluten reaction
will last???? She has been gf (100%) for approx. 1 1/2 years.

As for Sea World... we paid for Shamu parking and took a picnic.  She was
also able to eat popcorn and cotton candy inside the park.

Thanks again.