From:
Susan Roenke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan Roenke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 2004 01:00:48 +0000

This is a summary for bar cookies, thanks!  The reason I am avoiding regular
sugar is I get colds when I eat it, and this last cold was a humdinger - I
got subacute thyroiditis!!
Sue

>>yesterday i "invented" some really delicious cookies - they were just like
>>oatmeal raisin, and i'd imagine you could make them as bars if you wanted.

i took almonds and put them in the blender till they were very fine, let's
say 1 cup, and added not quite that much butter. about a cup of shredded
coconut, a bit of vanilla, and about a tablespoon of honey. then i tossed in
an egg and a bunch of raisins, and spooned it out onto cookie sheets and
baked!

they were delicious - i can't wait to make more! if you want a sweeter
cookie, use more honey, though with the raisins, i found it just didn't
really need to be that sweet...

>>simple and yummie

peanut butter
peanuts
choc chips semi sweet
raisons
mix it together using only enough peanut butter to make it stick wrap them
in wax paper and refrig til needed slightly messy but great

>>Any cookbook or any google search for cookie bar recipe should do it and
>>just substitute like you already do for other stuff. Just use 1 teasp of
>>Xantahn gum for each cup of flour alternate that you use and 85% of all of
>>them work. Once in a while, there is a dud, but, by and large, they work.
>>Been doing GF for 8 years now. Can't be bothered with special recipies.
>>Bars are easy. They are contained within the walls of the pan and can't
>>run anywhere! :-))

>>This one is what we use if you can have PN butter. Chocolate Chip PN
>>Butter Cookies 4 egg whites 1 cup Sugar ( 1/2 Brown Sugar & 1 cup White
>>Sugar) 1 cup PNut Butter (chunky) 1 cup chocolate chips Whip up egg whites
>>-- add sugar --- then PN butter -- & Chocolate chips. Bake 350 for 13 min.

>>I would suggest you to ask your questions at this other excellent site:
>>http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages
There are very kind & knowledgeable people there, among them doctors, to
answer your questions.
There also is a GF product list, updated regularly.
Also, I have voluntarily posted many hundreds of GF recipes.

>>Instead of using maple sugar or brown rice solids, you could try Stevia,
>>it is a pure product, and one uses just a tiny bit. It is a product made
>>from a plant in South America. One would use 1/4 teaspoon for a regular
>>cup of sugar. Does not produce the instant kick that the other sweetners
>>produce.

>>check the archives. tons of recipes. other recipe sites, just substitute

>>any drop cookie can be made as a bar cookie..watch it carefully so it
>>doesn't burn, in fact put another cookie sheet under it. Let sit in pan 2
>>min before remvoing whole thing to cooling rack to cut
(this was in response to the wonderful flourless peanut butter cookies, I
asked how to make into bar cookies)

>>DRY FLOUR MIX
2 c brown rice flour 2 c white rice flour
1 1/2 c sweet rice flour 1 1/3 c tapioca starch or flour
2/3 c corn starch 1/2 c rice bran or rice polish
2 tsp xanthan gum

Sift together 3 or 4 times and store in canister. Use 1 c
of this mixture when recipe calls for 1 c wheat flour.
Works very well in cookies, bars, cakes - even rolled out
sugar cookies.

>>>Pumpkin Bars 1c oil 2c sugar 2c pumpkin 4 eggs 2c flour 2t baking powder
>>>1t baking soda 1/2t salt 2t cinnamon 1/2t ginger 1/4t cloves Mix all
>>>together. Bake in greased 11 x 13 pan (or 9 x 13 plus another small pan)
>>>350 degrees for 30 min. Cool and frost or sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Apple Brownies 1/2c butter (I sue soy margarine) 1c sugar 1 egg 1/2c shopped
nuts (optional) 1c diced apple Add to above, 1 c flour 1/2t baking powder
1/4t baking soda 1t cinnamon dash nutmeg 8 x8x pan, 35-40 min, 350 degrees

Easy Brownies Melt in glass bowl 1/2c shortening Add 1c sugar 5t cocoa 1/2t
salt 1t vanilla 2 eggs 3/4c flour mix all together. bake 350degrees 30 min 9
x 9 pan

I haven't tried this one yet but it is ultra simple if you can do your sugar
magic: Spanish bar cake In a blender mix 1 (20 oz) can apple pie filling 4
large eggs 1T apple pie spice 1/4 t cloves In a bowl mix 1 (18 oz) package
yellow cake mis 1c raisins 1c walnuts Now add the ingredients from the
blender into the bowl. Mix together. Pour into greased 9 x 13 pan and bake
for 55 minutes or until cake teste done. Cool and frost. happy baking

Learn to simplify your finances and your life in Streamline Your Life from
MSN Money. http://special.msn.com/money/0405streamline.armx