Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 2004 11:09:05 -0500

Dear List Mates,

I want to thank the twenty or so peopIe who responded so quickly to my
question. Many gave specific experiences and/or comments. Only one of these
was negative. Everyone else who has eaten at Texas Roadhouse had a positive
experience.
I am including some of the comments.

...'attached is the menu they sent to me. Please note, that I sent her a
follow up e-mail questioning the fried items to ensure that they are not
sharing oil with breaded items.'

'My family eats the steak (any of them) cooked as they normally would....
baked potatoes... salad no croutons w/vinegarette dressing.  They have eaten
this for almost 2 years without problems (and they have very severe symptoms
when they get gluten).  My husband has also had the trout made without the
batter/breading.'

'The manager assured me the spices are
gluten free as well.  I asked for no spices and wasn't disappointed.  Better
than Outback even.'

'I ate there a couple years ago and had a very positive experience.  The
manager took me back to the kitchen and showed me how things are grilled
seperately.  He also said that they make their own spices (which they sell -
 ingredients on the bottle).  He said they're a "scratch kitchen" meaning
they make everything right there...don't bring in sauces from somewhere
else...'

'I have asked specifics about ingredients of their barbecue sauce, and I
have been told it is not gluten-free. I tried to ascertain if it was
because of vineger, but the restaurant rep strongly urged me to avoid
anything with barbecue sauce. She said they are working in setting up
guidelines for cooking for allergies -- scrubbing the grills, etc. So
now I only order their steaks. They have wonderful sweet potatoes.'

'I have eaten in Texas Roadhouse in three different states.  In two of them
spoke to the managers and they were very helpful.  They will prepare plain,
unmarinated steak.  I don't know about the cheese on their salads, so I
always order it without cheese or croutons.  I think this is mentioned on
the Silly Yaks web sight.  I know I have seen it mentioned somewhere.
Anyway, I have had only good experiences there.'

'I've had WONDERFUL experiences the two times that I have eaten there and
it has been the most relaxing dining experience I've had since being
diagnosed with the celiac. I have even been ABLE TO HAVE STEAK FRIES
there! '

This was the one negative reply and it only pertains to a particular
restaurant. But it raises a flag that everyone should check the Texas
Roadhause where they eat.
'I do know that the Texas Roadhouse in Kenosha WI has steaks that contain
gluten - they come prepackaged individually, with marinade and spice.'

Several people either sent me an emailed GF menu or one to download. If
anyone would care to have the download, please contact me. I will post the
emailed version in a separate mailing since this summary is already long.

Again, thanks to everyone who responded. We are headed to Texas Roadhouse
tomorrow night!

Jeanne    RI