From:
"Richard L. Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard L. Paul
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 11:45:59 -0500

Thanks to all of you I will have a zeisen Pesach.  This list is great.  Here
is what I learned:
--------------------------
PASSOVER IS A CELIAC'S DREAM

1. Your in luck b/c Passover is an amazing thing for celiacs.  Basically
everything Kosher for Passover is GF, EXCEPT for anything with matzoh meal.
I know this sounds weird, but there are certain Jewish sects that don't even
eat products made with matzah meal over Passover.  So there are tons of
products that are made without any matzah and therefore are GF.  These
products are all labeled non-gebrok (meaning no matzah).  If you live in an
area where there are a lot of Jews, there may be a Kosher grocery store.
You can find tons of products that are GF, ranging from yogurt to cheese to
salad dressings, etc.  All these products are made without any grains and
the vinegars used and foods starches used are all made from potatoes.  They
even have amazing (though full of sugar) desserts, made only from potato
starch.  A great bakery that makes kosher for Passover desserts and even
states they are GF is called schicks.  Their web site is schicksbakery.com.
You should check it out.  Passover is a haven for celiacs.  Just read labels
and stay away from any products that contain matzah meal.

2. I know a lot of celiacs who pine away for Passover time to stock up on
grain free chocolate chips, margarine, baking powder, etc. I buy all the
chips and such we can have for a year -- my four celiac children like
chocolate chip cookies like everyone else -- and when we run out, we're out.

3. actually, there are lots of gf passover foods. i stock up on some things
at passover for the whole year, since they need to be made without the 4
grains. just check to make sure there is no matza meal. there is even gf
certified oat matza. there's gefilte fish also. just look for the words
"non-gebreucht" and it won't have matza meal. so many things are made with
potato starch instead- even some blintzes. and they are actually good. also
remember that the "u" inside the "o" is not enough. it needs to say "P"
inside the "U" and be "non gebreucht" to not have the matza meal in the
recipe. also lots of desserts are in this category.
---------------------------------------
LOOK FOR BAKED GOODS MADE FROM OTHER THINGS

1. Just look for the Kosher for Passover label.  Cakes are made from almond
paste or a nut base or potato starch.

2. Also the potato pancake mixes are ok. Potato starch boxes have some
recipes on them (banana bread and sponge cake).
--------------------------
ALTERNATIVES TO MATZOH (FOR THE SEDER)
I use "Ho-Grain" crackers, made out of rice, as matzah. I make "matzah" brie
(yum!), "matzah" stuffing with mushrooms and onions...   I find "Ho-Grain"
crackers at my heath food store...Wild Oats or Whole Foods should have them.
 -----------------------------
MANISCHEWITZ HAS A GF LIST

Manischewitz kindly posts a gluten-free product list -- here's the direct
link to that page:

http://www.manischewitz.com/docs/man_150.shtml
--------------------------------------
HERE ARE SOME SPECIFIC PRODUCTS BY SPECIFIC COMPANIES
Leibers makes GF matzah ball soup mix.
There are GF potato and vegetable blintzes.
Gefilte fish is a tough one, but, I hear there is a GF one.
There are a ton of prepared baked goods made with potato starch.
There is Gf Matzah! Yes, made in Israel by a Dr. who found a rare strain of
oats and super-refined them to make for his CD daughter. Kosher markets will
know about it. It costs about $18 a box though!
----------------------------
LOOK FOR NON GEBROKS

"Kedem gefilte fish for Passover" has NO matzah meal...buy Pesach Crumbs by
Paskesz Candy Co (Brooklyn NY) and make the matzah ball recipe from the
side(seltzer is the key)they are very good.  Many Kosher food stores have
things without flour or matzah meal (NON GEBROKS), Schicks Kosher for
Passover baked goods for Pesach (from NY #718-436-8020 but sold in our Chgo
area kosher store) are GF and taste like the real thing we used to be able
to eat.(I buy it now and keep them for the year). There are Passover ice
cream cones made by Tovli out of Brooklyn N.Y. which you can then use all
year.  We also make our own gluten free Matzoh. Start by making your own
general purpose gluten free flour: 2 parts white rice flour to 2/3 part
potato starch flour to 1/3 part tapioca flour (this flour can be used all
year round for a number of gluten free treats). To make the matzot, mix
approx. 1 part water to 3 parts flour. Ther result should be a "dough" that
feels more like play-do than the familiar elastic feel of real bread dough.
Form the dough into balls roughly the size of golf balls. Place each ball on
a non-stick cooking sheet and roll out to paper thinness. I usually put a
piece of waxed paper over the dough before using the rolling pin to prevent
sticking (you might also have to dust them with a little of the dry flour
mix). The finished product must be quite thin. Poke holes in the flat
sheets. Bake at about 375 degrees until they turn golden brown. Time varies
depending on the thickness of the dough, so you just have to keep an eye on
them. Don't expect them to look like Manishevitz matzot when done. They'll
look more like large, irregular shaped crackers. We take comfort in feeling
this is more like what our ancestors ate than what you buy in the
supermarket. If you're going to attempt to be true to the kosher method of
making these, no more than 18 minutes may elapse from the touch of the water
to putting the matzot in the oven.

Richard Paul
rlpaulproductions, LLC
http://www.rlpaulproductions.com
3704 Alton Pl., NW
Washington, DC   20016
(202) 364-0860 - main
(202) 352-7259 - cell
Documentary productions/Fundraiser production