Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:05:26 -0700

I included this, not because it has much to do with gluten & dental
products, but because I thought it was such helpful information others
may benefit from it.  Thanks to Jerry Andrews for this.  ~Valerie in
Tacoma
--------------
Hey Valerie I got one about dental you won't believe. But then again I
could be wrong, maybe you already heard about it, but check it out
        Ok I have periodontal disease, have had it for years. I have deep roots
type teeth the dentists tell me. I have had to undergo the "root planing"
procedure many times over the years & cleanings every 6 months but still
I have disease in my gums.
        So at this last cleaning I went to a different periodontist. This doctor
told me something I had never even thought of before. He said he had a
friend, an "old German lady" as he called her, which caused me to laugh
because a good neighbor lady friend is an "old German lady" and she is
very funny. But he thought I was laughing about his description & quickly
said "Oh well, she would probably not want me to call her that but it is
true, she is old & German". Anyway it was a typical guy type of "Oops"
comment. But he said she was a friend of a relative of his & he got to be
friends with her that way. But she told him that she brushed her teeth
with salt, not toothpaste, & never used mouthwash either. The only thing
she'd been using for decades was plain table salt for brushing her teeth.
        The periodontist said she came in for an examination after he expressed
disbelief at her claim about brushing with salt. He had her come in for a
check up & was amazed to see that her gums were pink & bright & healthy &
that she had clean teeth with no cavities!
        So he suggested I try it with my gum disease to see if it would help me.
So I went home & tried it that night. It was terrible at first, yucky
tasting, pretty hard to handle. I use a SoniCare toothbrush (Sonic-Care?
not sure). So I wet the bristles then took the salt & sprinkled it on the
brush & then just went at it on my teeth & gums. Also I brush my tongue
as per the dentist’s advice because apparently the gums hold the bacteria
that get back in to your teeth & below the gum line & that just starts
the gum disease all over again if you don't brush your tongue along with
your teeth when you brush.
        So anyway I did this the night before & woke up the next day & was
amazed to find I had no morning breath! Also I woke up & my mouth felt
different, like clean teeth. It is hard to describe, my mouth just felt
different then it does when I used peroxide & baking soda toothpaste &
mouthwash rinse after brushing.
        So I kept this up for a few days wanting to see what else would happen
with it. Well one thing I found out about brushing with salt is, you have
to use the plain salt not the iodized stuff. You actually end up
absorbing a lot of salt in your system from accidentally swallowing & I
think just by contact with your tongue. So I was getting overdosed on
iodine & that was affecting my thyroid after a few days. So I went &
bought some plain non-iodized salt at the store & used that & everything
went back to normal. But each day I brushed with salt I realized I was
feeling sore gums, like infections that were in my mouth that I hadn't
felt before when using toothpaste & mouthwash. But the neat thing is the
infections slowly began to "dry up", each day with the salt brushing it
felt like my mouth & gums were less sore. My teeth were staying clean &
free of plaque & tartar & sparkly I was waking up every day with no
morning breath. Then I started noticing my sinuses were working a lot
better, I could breathe through my nose a lot better, the mucous & sinus
tracts were staying moist. It was like my whole upper respiratory tract
was being affected by the gum disease I'd had & I didn't even know it.
        So after about a month of doing this now I'm used to the taste of the
salt & handle it no problem, especially after the wonders it has done for
my mouth. It practically killed all the gum disease I had in my mouth in
a month! My teeth are still clean, I wake up with no morning breath, my
sinuses work better, my tongue feels clean all the time. It is just
amazing the results I am getting from brushing with salt every day. Also
my gums are starting to change color & are looking pink & healthy now. I
almost can't wait to go back to this periodontist & show him the results.
If what I am seeing is true then he should see a reduction in the plaque
& tartar below the gum line. This is really incredible. I've told my
mother about it & now I have her brushing with salt & she told me she is
getting similar results to what I have gotten. Just amazing.
        I think you should try it, there is no gluten in salt, the only thing is
getting used to the taste. But once you see the results first hand, no
morning breath after brushing your tongue with salt, teeth staying clean
& shiny & gums feeling very healthy, you quickly forget about using
toothpaste & mouthwash, let me tell you!

[My gums are so tender, I'm afraid salt may be too abrasive . . .]
        yeah its pretty strange, hard to get used to at first but if you can
handle it the results are amazing
try wetting the brush really well & letting the salt soften it helps,
makes it a little easier on your gums & is less abrasive
        also now I pour salt into the glass I rinse with & fill it with warm
water & rinse with it while brushing, seems to help the salt dissolve
more quickly in your mouth & against your gums
        all this should help I hope, I hope you can handle it because the
results are really worth it!

[I've always wondered how toothpaste that contains sugar could possibly
be good for the mouth. I seems that the sugar would just encourage the
growth of bacteria.]
        agreed, makes no sense, here I found an interesting web site from a
periodontist you might want to read:
http://www.dr4gums.com/medical_implications_of_periodon.htm
here's his main page: http://www.dr4gums.com       jerry

Get your name as your email address.