From:
Thomas Schaefer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thomas Schaefer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Apr 2004 10:41:08 -0400

I received 18 responses, indicating a good deal of interest in this topic. I will include 2 complete recipes in part 2 of this summary.

Other comments included:

The only "bread" I can imagine made without those two ingredients is corn
tortillas & tapioca spring roll wrappers???

I've had good luck with quick bread recipes in Carol Fensters "special diet solutions" - she also lists substitution ideas in the back of the book.  I have used egg replacer & Vance's Darifree with pretty good luck . . . have also used maple sugar and maple syrup in place of sugar.  I use a wide variety of flours, esp. Bette Hagman's "gluten free gourmet" mixes - bean flours balanced w/ tapioca & potato.

I always suggest Carol Fenster's cookbook: Special Diet Solutions.  It
has substitutions for just about every imaginable food sensitivity - gluten,
primarily.  I use her basic muffin mix as a sort of bisquick for everything
from pancakes to layer cakes, and I bake her yeast-free sandwich bread all
the time.  (I used to be a sourdough bread baker until I had to give up
yeast as well as gluten.) I use sorghum instead of rice flour in all
recipes.  Sorghum is a hearty, tasty, good-textured grain that I buy in 25
lb. tubs from Twin Valley Mills - it can be ordered online.  I dilute it 7
parts to 1 with arrowroot - you could also use cornstarch - just to lighten
it a little.

My son is allergic to eggs and milk.  For every one egg I substitute a
mixture of 1 T. cider vinegar, 1 T. oil, and 1 t. baking powder.  For milk I
use Silk soy milk in either plain or vanilla flavor.

I use garfava, &tapioca, flours, along with cornstarch,and etc. no rice flours. almond Breeze / or water for fluids. I also use peach jam without sugar. of course this I let rise on top of the stove and bake in the oven,I won't use a bread machine. I empty  small cans  of crushed pineapple for the bun forms, works perfectly and everyone loves my buns.

I do know that you can replace rice milk or soy milk for
cows milk in any baking recipe and it turns out fine.  Also the better
breads don''t use rice flour at all, they use some combination of
flours, including bean flours.  Have not yet tried Montina which
everyone is also raving about.  I used to get busy precisely following
recipes, measuring out different types of flours -- now I just throw
together a combination of whatever is handy - which includes sorghum,
fava bean, garbanzo bean, tapioca flours) and it turns out the same or
better (just less replicable).

I would suggest you to ask your questions at this other excellent site:  http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages

There are very kind & knowledgeable people there, among them doctors, to answer your questions.
There also is a GF product list, updated regularly.

I just posted a note about Injera--it is a flat pancake-like
bread and it is made with teff flour and water only.  Carol Fenester
has a great recipe for fococcia bread and suggests silken tofu in
place of eggs.  You can substitute rice milk or whatever you use for
the milk.  The recipe is in some of her books and at her web site in
the "free recipes."  http://www.savorypalate.com

Flours, you could substitute amaranth,
garfava, buckwheat, or other flours for the brown rice flour.