From:
Melinda Freckleton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Melinda Freckleton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2004 07:11:53 -0400

Thanks to all the many people who replied to my questions about cider.
There were about 25 replies!

More than 14 people regularly drink Woodchuck cider without any
problems, this was the most common answer. There were a few others who
occasionally drank it, also without problems. No one said they drank
Woodchuck and had a gluten problem, though 2 refused to drink it due to
the uncertain status.

The following other brands were suggested (I did no further research on
any of these):

        Magners (3 votes)
        Imported dry Blackthorn
        "K"*
        Strongbow (Strongsborogh?)
        Wyders*
        Ace*

*at least one person said they had recently contacted the manufacturer
regarding gluten status and was satisfied it was gf

Other thoughts were:

        Several suggestions to make my own cider (interesting idea, but not
for me right now)

        One suggestion to drink gf beer or other drinks from one respondent
who did not like cider drinks.

        One suggestion to drink regular beer from another respondent who does
not like cider.  This person suggested that this is not actually
harmful for a gf diet.  I am not up to date on the thinking about
gluten and beer, but I know that beer does a number on my gut, so I
will not be taking that suggestion.

        Based on these replies I will be picking up some Woodchuck sometime
soon, and keeping my eyes open for those other interesting brands!
Thanks again for all the replies!  --mel

Melinda Freckleton, DVM
Catlett VA