From:
Dan Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 2004 08:45:20 -0500

I had over 40 responses in 24 hours so I thought I would go ahead and
summarize what I found out. I asked to hear from people that had sinus
problems previous to being dx'd with celiac and if they had improved. I'll
break it down into 4 categories:1)cured 2)greatly improved 3)helped a
little 4)no help at all.17 had claimed they were cured and that it was
amazing that changing their diet had resulted in such a dramatic result. 13
people reported that there was great reduction in sinus problems but they
might still have to use an otc antihistamine and be aware of dairy
products. 3 people said it helped a little but still were plagued with some
sinusitis.  3 people saw no relieve and did not believe there was any
connection at all. 4 people wrote with advice but themselves did not have
any probl
ems with sinus but could see how there could be. So over 75%
believe they were either cured or signifcantly improved with a GF diet.
    There were so many explaination as to why they thought it worked that I
really don't know which is true. They ran the gammut fromm glutin being an
allergen that makes the body create mucous to protect itself. To a
discussion on the difference between IGA and IGE and that IGA is the
response in the gut and IGE is the one in the sinuses and they could not be
related. I think that this  is very complex and I am not really educated in
the body to know how to really evaluate the connection between celiac and
sinus but I believe there is one. I believe it to be one of autoimunnity
rather than allergen, that something goes wrong in the way the body defends
itself fron foreign invaders,that once the immunity system stops fighting
the battle with gluten other possable autoimmune dieases quite down.I would

still welcome e-mails on your experience with sinus improvement going GF.
Dan