From:
Karin Spady <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karin Spady <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 May 2004 17:35:35 -0700

About a month ago I posted a question to the list asking if anyone
knew of good places to stay in Hawaii or other “warm places”, where
it would be easier to be GF. Our daughter is going to get married at
the end of August and her fiancé wanted some ideas as to what might
be available for a honeymoon. Sorry it’s taken so long to summarize.
I’ve been busy with wedding plans since the wedding will be where we
live, and our daughter lives down south. I want to thank everyone
that responded. Out of the 12 responses, 4 of them asked for a
summary. I will try to summarize the others.

Number 1 - when you go on cruises if you tell them ahead of time they
are very accommodating.

Number 2 - On Lanai there are two hotels (The only two) that are
lovely and would cater to your GF needs. They are pricey but perfect
for a honeymoon. I can't recall the names of them but they are the
only two
there. Let me know if you can't find out the info for them.

Number 3 - Since a lot of places in Hawaii serve Asian food, they can
get GF food, just ask them to leave off the soy sauce.  Lots of fresh
fish
available and fresh veggies.  They could get a condo and cook bfasts.
 There are lots of wonderful condos in Hawaii.  I used to live in
Honolulu and loved the food. Rice is served even in McDonalds.  Roy's
will do a divine GF meal.

Number 4 - I cannot recommend this personally, but I came across it
when looking for vacation places several months ago.  It says right
on the web page that they will cater to gluten free dinners.  It
looks very nice, but it may be a bit too rustic, it says "no TV and
no newspapers" which is a bit more than I can take

 Here is the link:

Turtle Island Resort, Fiji's All-inclusive, Luxury Honeymoon /
Vacation in the Tropical Island Paradise

If nothing else its fun to look at the pretty pictures!

Number 5 -
How about beautiful San Juan Island off the coast of Washington
state?  We host gluten-free vacations on San Juan Island.  The
vacations include accommodations in charming B&B's that will serve
gluten-free breakfasts. Every lovely room has a private bath.  We
have one that
has a massage room too.  The vacations include gourmet gluten-free
meals, accommodations and a scheduled island activity each day like
ocean kayaking, a trip to see the Orca Killer Whales up close and
personal, a plane ride around the San Juan Island chain, horseback
riding and more.  For more information, complete details are
available at www.glutenfreeda.com, our online gluten-free cooking
magazine.  Go to the button at the top of the page with a picture of
a whale jumping out of the water.  You can also call me at
360-378-3675.

The weather in August and September is 80-90 degrees F.
I'd love to speak to you about a vacation this summer.

Yvonne Gifford, Editor & Chef
Glutenfreeda.com
360-378-3675

Number 6 -
I probably won't be a huge help, but I'll tell you what our
experience was in Maui just a couple weeks ago with my family.  We
stayed in West Maui at the Kahana Sunset- they have one and two
bedroom condos.   We cooked every meal in our kitchen except one--
went to Outback (located about 20 minutes north of Lahaina) once for
dinner with no problems.  They seem to be familiar with the gf menu
and the staff couldn't have been nicer.  (In fact we ran into another
celiac who I had met online when we were exchanging Maui info-- what
a fun evening!)

Grocery stores in West Maui had everything we needed.  We bought the
bulk of our food at Costco, which is right by the Kahului Airport
(but we were also buying for 6 people for a week).   There is a
Safeway in Lahaina, as well as a health food store called Down to
Earth.  Down to Earth had Envirokids cereal and snack bars, Tinkyada
pasta, San-J wheat-free tamari, Annies Dressings,  and 3 gf baked
goods-- Volcano cookies, Brazil nut cookies, and my favorite -Rain
Forest bars.  The baked goods were very health-foody, but still a
treat to find something like that.  I didn't really know what we
would find food-wise when we got there, but I now know we would have
been just fine without me hauling quite so much stuff from home.

Next time I would bring a pancake mix, crackers/bread, our favorite
spices, and a small pan for cooking eggs and pancakes (the cookware
in the condo was pretty beat) and I'd buy everything else there,
including aluminum foil for lining cookware.   Our breakfasts were
pancakes w/jam, eggs, fruit;  lunches were leftovers from dinner or
pb&j or tuna sandwiches & fruit; dinners were easy like meat, baked
beans, raw veggies, fruit.  If you stay at a condo they will likely
have BBQs there-- cook up a bunch of chicken early in the week (after
marinating it-- Annies Dressings plus added spices work nicely, and
use foil on the grill) and eat that for several meals.   (Don't
forget to freeze some as strips to pack in your carry-on cooler for
the flight home.)

Regarding the flight home:  they won't let you take ANY fresh fruit
or veggies out of Hawaii, so don't plan on that as part of your food
for the flight home.  There is nothing sadder than having prepared a
bunch of fruit (especially fresh pineapple) and having to either eat
it or toss it before going through the agricultural check point.  Buy
some Dole fruit cups or some applesauce at Safeway and safe yourself
some trouble!

Number 7 -
We went to Hawaii last year. The ideal place for a honeymoon is The
Four Seasons on the Big Island. Since we flew there on Skymiles
tickets, we splurged on 2-nights at The Four Seasons. The staff are
very accommodating and could easily produce GF meals. They stock rice

noodles in their kitchens and easily prepared beef stroganoff for me
one evening.

On a general note, with the Asian influences, GF rice noodles are
stocked in most grocery stores. I found Hawaii more GF friendly than
Savannah, GA where I live. There's an excellent natural food store,
Mana Foods, in Paia on Maui Island. They had most of the usual GF
products (GF pantry, tinkyada noodles, crackers etc.)

Paia is near Wailuku and Kahului (airport). Getting around Maui is
quick and easy along the northwest side. Lahaina to Paia was 45
minutes. It's more difficult (takes more time) to get from Kahului to
Hana (2 hours) and groceries/restaurants are limited at Hana.

You could rent a cottage on Maui and buy your own groceries.

In Hawaii, a common food for breakfast are fruit smoothies. And meals
of fresh fish, rice and local produce are available in most
restaurants. The local produce was wonderful.

Number 8 - Try going to http://www.goodhealthpublishing.com/ for a
list of
59 national/regional restaurants and their lists of gluten/wheat free
items. There's also a gluten free dining card that can be presented
restaurant personnel to ease the ordering process.

Then I noted this letter on our list and thought I would add it to
this summary. Sometimes Orlando, Florida is warm and some people
might like to go there for their honeymoons, vacations or whatever :
)

“I found this one persons account of Disney very interesting and I
thought I should share it with the list.

http://allearsnet.com/din/guestceliac.htm

I’ve also been communicating with a couple of Bed and Breakfasts on
the Big Island of Hawaii.  Here is the web site that I used to see
which ones in the USA, including Hawaii, had GF places. I didn’t find
any GF Bed and Breakfasts in Canada but there were plenty in England.
 http://www.1-888-inn-seek.com/feature.htm

Hope this helps and thanks again for those that responded. I will
pass along the info to our daughter’s fiancé as well.