From:
joseph marty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 18:48:29 -0400
I am not sure I understand your question. If you install all the programs on your e: drive you will not save any time if you format the c: and install XP to replace your current W98SE.  None of the programs on e: will run.  You'll have to format e: and reinstall all the programs to it. I'm not sure how you are streamlining anything by doing that.  In order to run your drive heads have to look in e: and in c: to get all the files to run.  Kind of wastes time.  Your registry is in c:, your system files with many of the .dll's is in c:, and a lot of other necessary files are in c:. You should just enlarge c: and install everything there.  Putting programs on e: will waste seek time and will not make you able to just install XP on c:  and run what's on e:.

>        I recently re-partitioned a new HDD (Maxtor DiamondMax Plus) that now
>contains a primary partition and an extended partition with three logical
>drives. C drive has WIN98SE, D drive contains the swap file, E drive is a
>program/games drive and F drive is for files. My question is this: I want to place
>all of the program files into the E drive, will this have any adverse effects?
>I've placed a lot of program files there, but I am hesitant to move certain
>programs such as my AV, my firewall and the programs associated with the sound
>and video cards along with my disc writing program. Eventually I will replace
>the OS with XP when the drive is placed in another custom built PC, and the idea
>is I want to be able to completely uninstall the old OS without losing any
>data, rather than chance and pray an 'upgrade' will go smoothly. I understand
>that there are .dll files and other drivers that install into the Windows OS
>with the more complex programs and I have a complete set of discs to reinstall
>them with, but I want to try and streamline the process any way I can. It took a
>full three days to install all of the necessary drivers for all of the
>hardware on the new disc and then tweak the settings to taste. And yes, the drive is
>worth the hassle of the transfer as a lot of the components in the current
>box will be used. (saving a fair amount money in the process)

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>