Date:
Sun, 1 Aug 2004 02:15:31 EDT
In a message dated 7/17/2004 1:49:15 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Bottom  line:  Win98 on LAN can see/share with other comps but won't   connect
to internet.

Details:  Win98SE comp on LAN with 2  Win98SE's and 1 Win XP Pro.   All
connected via router to  DSL.  Latter three comps can connect to  internet.
1st
Win98 won't.  Bottom of IE6 window  says
"c\windows\system\shdoclc.dll\dnserror.htm".  (this is  daughter's  comp)  I
did routine maintenance: internet  history
removal, cookie removal,  *.tmp file removal, scandisk and  defrag.  Removed a
program called  Newdotnet using its uninstall  utility.  Afterwards, could not
connect to  the internet.   Instead got that dnserror message.

I checked internet settings which  were identical to other comps successful
settings.  Even removed  TCP/IP and reinstalled thinking it had gotten
corrupted.  Checked  router settings to make sure that comps IP wasn't
blocked.
Unplugged  that comps cat5 from one router port and plugged into  another
port
thinking maybe the port went bad but still the same results.

I  googled the dns error message and got several hits.  I found a post   that
described the problem identically to mine.  The solution was a  bad
deinstallation of new domain reader called New dot Net that gets  installed
with  Kazaa.
The post pointed to an uninstall program at the  new.net website  that fixed
that person's problem.  I downloaded  the uninstall program and  ran it but
stll
don't have internet  access.

Another hit gave info on restoring the shdoclc.dll file.   I ran sfc  and had
it restore the shdoclc.dll file from the install  cab files.  Still  no
internet access.

I'm at a loss as to  what to do next.  I apologize for the length of  this
post but I  wanted you experts to know what was done already.

What can I do to get  internet access back on that comp and get my daughter
off my  back?

Thanks,
Kevin Nowicki

After too much time spent configuring, reconfiguring, experimenting and
running various wizards, playing with IP addresses etc, I took the "scorched
earth" approach.

Formatting and reinstalling Win98se sovlved the problem.  Still don't  know
why the comp couldn't go out on to the internet although it was seen and  could
share files on the LAN.

Oh, and my daughter is off my back now too...

Kevin Nowicki

           The NOSPIN Group is now accepting donations to help
          defer the costs of providing PCBUILD and our website.
           Visit http://freepctech.com to donate using PAYPAL