From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 2004 08:44:05 -0700
I have done video recording for four hours at a time. As long as you have a
fast processor, and a modern dedicated hard drive, you will be fine. I have
been recording and editing video for the last four or five years, on
everything from a Ultra 33 on up, and I have never come across any thing
like this. Maybe they were talking about really old IDE drives, with really
small caches, but from personal experience,  this is a not an issue.

Modern desktop drives perform extremely well, and do fine, when recording
video. When recording on my high end workstations, which use RAID 0 capture
drives, I have found the processor to make the difference. This is
particularly true if you are capturing mpeg-2 on the fly, and this is when,
while not necessary, a dual processor setup really shines. When recording,
my Xeon Workstation barely gets up to 11 percent CPU time while recording
DVD quality, and results are pristine.

Editing is different. Hard drive speed is very important, and you can't go
too fast. I have yet to find a video editing program that really takes
advantage of large amounts of RAM. They still all use the hard drive. My
dual Xeon Workstation has 2GB of RAM, the vast majority of which is
available. However when editing, the data is still coming directly off the
hard drive.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group
http://freepctech.com

>I have not done much video editing and what I have done was short duration.
>Have you done long video recording on the order of an hour or so? From what
>I have read in the video magazines, the hard drives may recalibrate after
>about 15 minutes or so. Thus, if your video recording is longer, you could
>have problems (according to the articles I read).
>
>Peter
> >
> > I have two computers set up with RAID 0 for video capture.
> > One running RAID 0 Hardware as a capture partition, with two Ultra 100
> 2 meg
> > cache WD 72K 60 GB drives. And the second computer running a RAID 0
> Software
> > with a 72K Ultra 133 Maxtor DiamondMax 40 GB  and a Ultra 100
> DiamondMax 30 GB.
> > These are both set up for video capture using regular drives
> > .... and I don't have this problem?
> > Rode

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml