From:
Steve Brumbaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 2004 16:59:16 -0700
Hi,

I'm still working on the new system I'm putting together and I've run into
another problem.  Everything seems to be fine and then suddenly the screen
flashes with a blue screen showing white letters, but this goes by so fast I
can't begin to guess what it says.  The system then restarts and goes into
the "didn't shut down correctly, do you want to use safe mode, etc"
situation.  If I go back to normal startup, it often then will not even get
WinXP completely started, but blue screen and back to restarting.  Safe
mode, the same thing happens.

Sometimes it seems to restart correctly, goes into Windows and then a couple
of minutes later, the same thing happens.  On one of the "successful"
restarts, I left the system on for 40 hours without messing with it to see
what would happen.  It apparently did just fine.  I then tried to install
some of the software and about 1/2 hour later it happened again!  Not
surprising (since I didn't fix anything), but frustrating!

As I said above safe mode didn't accomplish anything.  In the BIOS, I tried
both fail-safe defaults and optimized defaults, but didn't see any change in
behavior.

I'm running WinXP, a new WD hard drive, AMD processor, and an Elitegroup
KT600-A motherboard, all of which I got at Fry's separately, so I can't just
return the system.

I'm guessing there's some conflict, but what?  Does anybody have any idea
about this problem?  Or what to check?  Or even just to be able to slow down
that blue screen so I can at least find out what it says?

Thanks,
Steve B.

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>