From:
Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 13:05:40 -0500
You are supposed to load the software before attaching the printer to the PC so it shouldn't recognize it until it is attached to the USB port.

You may have a partial install that is preventing the re-installation of the rest of the software.  Unplug the Epson from the USB port.  See if you have the uninstall program for the Epson:  Start > Programs > EPSON Smart Panel > Uninstall EPSON Smart Panel.  If so, then this must be uninstalled first.  Then use the Add/Remove Programs to remove all the EPSON programs including the "Scan to Web" program.

Now , before plugging in your printer, install the Epson software following the instructions.  (I like to re-boot may machine after installing USB driver programs, but it may not be necessary, unless the installation asks for it)   Then plug in the printer and it should be recognized and the driver file will be built.

Hope this helps.

Doug

Wanda Irby wrote:

I have a new Epson CX5400 all in one.  I am trying to get it to work with a computer that was part of a network.  It is running Win 98SE & has 512 meg of memory.  It formerly had a HP printer.  The scanner software installs just fine & it will work as a scanner and print from it but when installing the printer software, I get the error message:

SURegCreateKey failed.

I have removed the HP software & deleted everything I can find connected to the network.  It won't print from the computer.  Can anyone help?
Doug Simmons wrote:

It sounds as though you deleted the HP files but didn't uninstall them, leaving printer stuff in the registry.