From:
"Ian C>" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 23:34:51 -0500
PPPoE (Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet) is the protocol favored by
telcos who provide DSL service (I've never seen/heard of it being used
by cable providers).  It supposedly allows the telcos to reuse their
existing dialup authentication mechanisms on broadband (ethernet)
connections.  For the end-user, this means having to install and run
software in order to connect to the Internet (note that most routers
will accomodate these type of connections). User will be assigned a user
id/pw combo to log on to the network

With DHCP (Dynamic Host configuration Protocol),  the remote (ISPs)
server(s) assigns connection data (specifically the IP address) to
connected PC automatically, via the cable/dsl modem, without the end
user having to install any software to "log on" to the network(though
the user will have to make sure his network settings are properly
configured such as making sure dhcp is enabled).

Take a look at www,dslreports.com for end-user eviews of providers in
your neck of the woods.  You may also find more info on the two methods
(comparative info) from users with exposure to both.  HTH.

Ian Carmichael
.

JMB wrote:

> Different title:
>
> Simply question: Is there any significant difference in obtaining a DSL
> provider that is identified as being a 'DHCP' system versus one that is
> a 'PPPoE' system?
>
> Jean Bourvic

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml