From:
Michael Wurster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 16:46:42 -0700
Brian,
You have a couple options depending on the situation.
If the 10 mps thru put is not a bottleneck, and you have at least one spare
port available in each hub (better yet, an unused uplink port) and all the
computers are on the same network address wise, then a cable between the
two hubs is all you need. Whether it's a straight or cross over cable
depends on that open uplink port I mentioned.

On the other hand, if you need additional bandwidth, upgrade the slower
NICs and hub to 100BaseTX equipment. It's really quite inexpensive these
days. A slightly more expensive option would be to connect all the
computers to a single ethernet switch. This may give you slightly better
performance but your mileage may vary. A word of caution....switches have
"brains" which mean they can "think" in ways contrary to your own. Hubs on
the other hand, are really just a means of connecting the computers
electrically.

A router would only be needed if any or all the computers needed to access
another network... ie the Internet.
Michael