From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Dec 2003 11:06:50 -0800
  This is really fascinating.  At the physical level, there's noting that
would tell either device that the cable in use is a crossover.

  There *is* a whole range of weird problems which can arise because
different manufacturers differently interpret the Ethernet specification for
automatic negotiation of full/half duplex.
  If that were the case, though, I'd expect the significant factor to be the
brand/model of NIC, rather than the OS version.  It's just possible that
there's a common NIC driver issue associated with the reporting of
connection properties back to Windows (previous versions generally didn't
have a way to show the connection status and speed), but I'd expect a
problem at that level to carry over to XP.

  I'm curious about this Digibox device, too.  The only "port server"
devices I've ever used connected a set of serial ports (to which modems were
usually attached) to a single Ethernet port.  Is that what this is?

David Gillett