From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 02:25:53 -0800
1.  I believe you'll need to locate a DOS driver for this controller card
(which will load via a DEVICE= line in CONFIG.SYS).  Even then, I'm not sure
Norton will know what to do with it, but at least you'll be able to see your
files.

2.  I believe you'll find that there are two largish EPROM (Erasable
Programmable Read-Only Memory) chips on the controller board.  Each of them
is 8 bits wide by 64K, but they're connected in parallel to form a 16-bit
wide chunk of memory.  Since the PC addresses individual bytes, that makes
128KB with all of the even byte addresses on one chip and all of the odd
ones on the other.
  To install an upgraded firmware version on the controller card, you would
use an external device (an EPROM programmer, or "burner") to write the two
files you've found to a pair of compatible replacement EPROM chips, and
remove the current EPROM chips and replace them with your burned ones.
("Flash" memory offers similar functionality, but uses much less power to
rewrite the chips, allowing the rewrite circuitry to be included on the
board instead of using a separate device.  This is why flash has replaced
EPROM as the preferred technology for motherboard BIOS code....

David Gillett

On 25 Nov 2003 at 13:19, Barry Pedersen wrote:

>  I have a machine at home with Seagate 10GB SCSI drive and a BusLogis BT956c PCI controller.  The drive is not visible from DOS, and Norton Speed Disk will not defrag/optimize the drive.The boot drive is a separate IDE hard disk.  These are the only 2 HDDs in the machine.The OS is Win98SE.  I'm pretty sure the problem has something to do with drivers as I have not loaded any software for it.  I just put in the pieces and ran it.  My controller came from a discount website w/o any instructions or software, so
I'm not sure what to do.  I have some files from the web for this card that are described as ROM binaries.  I don't know what that means or how to install them.  There are two 65K files with extensions of .eve and .odd.   Can anyone offer some suggestions to fix this. Thanks for any help. -Barry