From:
Frances Ross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 22:30:35 +0000
>i have two friends who cured themselves totally  from asthma.
>one is in India,  under the influence of dr Varma in Kerala started a
>totally raw diet mostly vegan with some raw buffallo dairy. after years =
>of
>symptoms they disappeared very quickly with this new diet . i have to
>precise he is very poor and can't afford lot of foods .
>
>as soon he is introducing  some cooked foods back , symptoms reappear

I was tempted to answer this when I first saw the question about diets for
asthma because I have read on so many occasions that free glutamate
(commercially known as MSG - monosodium glutamate the flavour enhancer)is
often at the root of asthma. I decided to keep quiet as the food industry
totally denies this. And all reports about MSG induced asthma are quickly
rebuked by food industry controlled research. So I have no scientic report to
back up this claim and I know many of the members here will only accept
something that can be backed up with research. This is not purely anecdotal,
because there are vast numbers of asthma sufferers who have turned their lives
round by avoiding it. I as well have totally turned my life round by avoiding
commercial and naturally made free glutamate and am recovered from seizures
and atrial fibrillation - which again the food industry says is not caused by
MSG.

Jean Claudes answer about the people who introduced a raw diet was very
interesting. Bound glutamate is found in varying ammounts in all food and is
high in meat and some veggies such as tomatoes and mushrooms. Cooking food
frees the glutamate (MSG) and makes for better flavour - so you are ingesting
a neurotransmitter which over excites the body ( a bit oversimplified).

The initial FDA report about the safety of MSG as an additive actually states
that some people with asthma should avoid MSG. The food industry of today
seems to have recanted on this. I would say if you have uncontrollable asthma
and are following a cooked (as in stew, soups and casserole) type paleo diet,
to go raw or at least rare for a while and see what happens. I know there is
no way I can drink soup made from bones or stews made from tougher cuts of
meat without inducing haphazzard electrical activity in my brain and heart....
Many say the same with asthma.

Fran