From:
David W Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 2003 22:17:05 +0000
Hello Chris

a lot of rotators, including the Yaesu one which I have, take about 60
seconds to turn the full 360 degree arc.

On that basis, 15 seconds is 90 degrees of arc, and 5 seconds is 30
degrees.

If you know where you want to squirt your RF then by moving relative to
your last known point, you can count the seconds of time and roughly
point in the correct direction.

If you are in contact with, or listening to, a station, then just peak
the signal by ear or S-meter if you can access it.

An alternative consideration is that if the band is not open, possibly
10M in current band conditions, then you will usually hear a change in
the noise as you swing the beam through a path which is open.
When the path is closed, then you hear a noise not dissimilar to that on
the VHF broadcast band between stations.
When you hit an open path, then that harsh hiss is slightly more soft.
When you hear it, you will know what I mean!

73 de Dave - G3YXX

In message <[log in to unmask]>, Chris Sells
AC4CS/AFA2AL <[log in to unmask]> writes

--
David W Wood