VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tom Fowle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Fowle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 14:48:58 -0700
It's true that starting out as an older person going blind is
nobody's idea of an easy life, if people were all
treated as individuals by everyone, not members of minorities, then
we wouldn't have to care what he puts on his T shirt.

Unfortunately, to too large an extent, that which demeans any of us
demeans all of us, so I think we have some rite to be upset by
such improperly thought out sayings.

Maybe he should say something like:
"I'm blind, ask if I need a hand?"
That way he'd still keep the responsibility of deciding whether he needs
help this particular situation.

I recall a famous organazation "of the blind" that used to promote
the idea that the contact we get through asking strangers for help
has positive social benefit beyond getting help.

Hopefully most of us can help the others who are having a bad time
adjusting to get beyond the self pity stage.  Or at least get beyond it
most of the time.

Who of us doesn't curse blindness, but hopefully in chosen situations where
it goes only to folks who know us.

On the even sillier side, I once had a bus driver suggest that if I carried
the loudest boom box I could find, then people would know I was blind and
would not run into me!  but what do you expect from the
"visually overstimulated" <G>
end babbling
tom fowle