From:
William Pike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 2003 09:31:53 -0500
On the old Pentium I boards sometimes the battery was an integrated unit
that looks something like a large IC chip. A company called Dallas made
them. The problem with these is that they incorporated the battery, the real
time clock, and several other things into this one unit. They are easy to
replace, just unplug one and plug the other one in. only problem is that you
almost never can find the right one. There is a string of numbers on the
chip, which you have to match exactly, if they don't match, it won't work. I
went through this a little while back, I went to a commercial electronics
supplier and got the chip (they called their distributor and gave them the
numbers) when I got the chip and put it in it asked for a bios password, I
used a backdoor password for the bios and got passed that but still the chip
would not work. Unfortunately I ended up throwing away the motherboard and
getting a new one. I hope you have better luck than I did.

William Pike