GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 21:17:19 EST
In a message dated 3/24/04 12:56:06 PM Central Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> you see adult Gambian/African +++ men going
> out with schoolgirls  of 13-16  or girls being married away at 13+  Is
> this not PAEDOPHILE ????

Mr Njie,

This is a good point.The practice of grown, and most of the time married men
pursuing young  high school girls sometimes with the consent of parents, has
been ongoing in our society.
Again, I believe poverty being the cuplrit. However, the young girls also
play a major part in this because some of them see it as something prestigious
and financially advantageous to be pursued by these men and they also
unfortunately seem to derive pleasure in wrecking someone's marriage. Unfortunately,
there is  lack of wisdom in the realization that when one engages in that, you
are really contributing towards the very real possibility that you will be at
the receiving end of this mishap later on in your life. In short, the victims
are also enablers of this behaviour of cheating husbands and the pursuit of very
young girls.
However, the problem of sex tourism adds another dimension in that
paedophiles are known to practice their sick behaviour on children as young as 4 years
old, and it may be just a matter of time before those who  seek out this age
group descend on  our country and other African destinations after word gets
around the paedophile grapevine that Gambia is a haven for this.

Jabou Joh