ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jan 2004 13:32:23 -0700
In November, before Thanksgiving, when I was in the hospital for those four
days, a nurse came in when Sandy and a couple of other people were there
visiting me. All the nurses and nurses aids wore masks that covered their
nose and mouth.  Some even wore rubber gloves and gowns.  This was to keep
from causing the flue to spread and to protect them when they were around
sick patients with the flue.  If they didn't wear rubber gloves, they were
told to wash their hands before leaving each room.  Many of them did, too.

As I said, one day, Sandy and a couple of other people were in the room.  In
comes this nurse.  Every time she came in that night, she kept telling Sandy
and the rest of them to put on masks.  She did this several times in a short
period of time that evening.  Finally Sandy said, are you worried you might
catch this flue?  She said, Oh, yes.  I sure am.  You could hear it in this
woman's voice, too.  When she left, Sandy said, That nurse has me half
paranoid about getting the flue.  Maybe I should get a mask.  She tried one
but it was hard for her to breathe through the fibrous mask so she took it
off.  I finally said to Sandy, Do you see how her fear was spoken through
her words and transmitted to you and caused you to question what you said
you believed?  Sandy had already been around me and other family members
with the flue and had not gotten it.  She still has not gotten the flue
although she did get a cold for a few days and she had this cold while at
the hospital.

It was a classic example of how effective words are even from a secular
mundane standpoint.

Another nurse came in one day while Sandy was there and she wore no gloves
or mask.  Sandy began talking to her and she said in the last 11 years, she
had gotten the flue once and she doesn't even get the flue shots each year.

Now, compare these two statements of conviction.  One continually talked
about how everybody should be wearing a mask so they wouldn't get sick.  She
admitted her fear of getting the flue and as I said, you could hear her
concern in her voice when she talked about it.  The other nurse simply
stated it as a matter of fact.  I am not worried about getting the flue
because I never get it.  Which of these two statements do you think would
effect you the most positively?  Now think about God's Word and His eternal
promises.  Meditate on that for awhile and see what it does for you.

Phil.

Crazy For Jesus
www.SafePlaceFellowship.com