ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 28 Dec 2003 14:14:36 -0500
Phil, I copied the following from a website.  It was about the version the
House passed before it was sent to the Senate.  Whether these provisions
remained in the bill, I don't know.

"The passing of today's act marks the first time Congress has enacted
anti-spam legislation. Spammers will be required to include a return email
address that gives recipients the ability to opt out of future
solicitations. Individuals and companies will be able to take spammers to
court and incur damages if they continue to receive spam after opting out.

In addition, the bill will let the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) take
action against spammers. Individuals unable to take legal action will be
able to file complaints with the FTC to investigate incidents and to
recover penalties.

"Marketers will have to be truthful in how they send their mail;
advertisers will have to be responsive to consumers who don't want to
receive unsolicited email; and advertisers will have to respect the
policies of ISPs," said Ray Everett-Church, counsel and board member of the
<http://www.cauce.org>Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial Email."