C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Meir Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Apr 2005 13:44:25 -0400
The message is ready to be sent with the following file or link
attachments:

Shortcut to: http://www.detnews.com/2005/fitness/0504/28/H09-155700.htm

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Study: Pain

Deep brain technique eases chronic pain

By Robert Preidt / HealthDay

Comment on this story
Send this story to a friend
Get Home Delivery

Deep brain stimulation (DBS) may help people with chronic pain who
haven't responded to other forms of treatment, says an Australian study
presented at the meeting of the American Association of Neurological
Surgeons in New Orleans.

Researchers found that long term pain relief was highest -- 87 percent
-- in patients undergoing brain stimulation of the brain's
periventricular gray region plus the sensory thalamus. A long-term
success rate of about 80 percent was achieved in patients with
intractable low back pain and failed back surgery who had successful
trial stimulation and then had permanent DBS implantation.

Trial DBS proved successful in about 50 percent of people with
post-stroke pain, and permanent DBS implantation resulted in 58 percent
of patients achieving ongoing relief. Patients with phantom limb pain
and radiculopathies had moderately higher rates of success with DBS.

Previous Story     Next Story
sending or receiving certain types of file attachments.  Check your
e-mail security settings to determine how attachments are handled.

begin 666 H09-155700.url
M6TEN=&5R;F5T4VAO<G1C=71=#0I54DP]:'1T<#HO+W=W=RYD971N97=S+F-O
M;2\R,# U+V9I=&YE<W,O,#4P-"\R."](,#DM,34U-S P+FAT;0T*36]D:69I
7960]0S [log in to unmask],44X#0H`
`
end