From:
Buddy Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 May 2004 00:47:55 -0400
Hi Howard,

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 11:06:49PM -0500, Howard Kaufman wrote:
> Thanks for the info, I just can't imagine that the k2 is rugged enough to
> be a main station.  Maybe it is, but well it's so small!!!

Oh, it's rugged enough, all right, and capable enough, too. It's my
main station with the 100-watt amp (which I currently have turned
off), and it's perfectly capable and easy to operate. No problems with
it at all, in fact.

> Good idea about separate enclosures, heat isn't good.
> I will need to use a manual tuner because of my antenna, no matter what the
> rig.  How do the receivers and price compare?

I've heard many reports that say their K2 hears things that their
other radios don't hear. Let's just say this. It's favorably compared
in receiver sensitivity to rigs of twice the price...think of, say,
the Icom IC-756Pro, Yaesu FT-1000MP, and the like. There has been some
debate as to whether the Ten-Tec Orion has a better receiver or
not--but that rig is about twice the price, or so!

Prices: Well, depends on what options you get.

> How hard is it to find sum one to build it all?

Dead easy. There's a whole list of builders on the Elecraft site. Many
of them will build for cheap or free for blind hams.

Vy 73,

--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV
Help us bring our child home! Visit http://ouradoption.brannan.name to