AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Steve Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
EASI's Library Accessibility Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 14:36:07 -0400
Just in case you missed this...
-------------------------------
Press Release (web version at: http://www.rfbd.org/mediapr27.htm)

RFB&D Announces Improved Website
New design offers improved accessibility and online ordering
Princeton, NJ (June 30, 2004)

Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic (RFB&D) will launch its newly designed
website at www.rfbd.org on July 1, offering members a dynamic, interactive
and more accessible tool for ordering books and products online, 24 hours a
day, seven days a week. The new web-based ordering system is expected to
facilitate and expedite search and ordering processes for students, parents
and educators seeking books during the peak ordering times at the beginning
of the school year.

Visitors will notice improved search options to easily locate a textbook on
CD or cassette from RFB&D's CV Starr Learning Through Listening Library of
more than 98,000 titles.  Revitalization of www.rfbd.org also offers more
user-friendly navigation for people interested in supporting RFB&D's
national programs or any of the organization's 28 recording studios around
the country through secure online donations.

The current look, content and technical underpinning of www.rfbd.org is the
result of consultation with focus groups made up of RFB&D members, parents,
educators and other site users. "Our challenge was to implement best
practices for web and e-commerce architecture and still have design and
navigation functions that are user-friendly and entirely accessible to
screen readers and other adaptive equipment," explained Morgan Roth, vice
president for public affairs.  "In the end, we were able to create a site
that is attractive, informative, effective as a marketing tool, and at the
same time, accessible and intuitive."

RFB&D is the nation's first and largest nonprofit organization to provide
recorded textbooks on CD and four-track cassette to students in kindergarten
through graduate school with disabilities such as visual impairment, severe
dyslexia or another physical disability that makes reading challenging or
impossible. RFB&D serves 127,000 students nationwide. RFB&D has nearly 5,000
highly trained volunteers who read and produce the organization's unique
collection of titles which are housed at RFB&D's master library in
Princeton, NJ.

At the end of the 2003 financial year, the number of people RFB&D served
annually, increased by eight percent.  "As demand for RFB&D services
continues to grow, so too do requests for more access to our services beyond
traditional work hours; technology allows us to do that effectively and
efficiently," said Peter Beran, senior vice president for information
technology.  "Our members want the ability to look for and order books at
their convenience, and to be able to access personalized account and
ordering information when it suits them, whether that's during standard
business hours, overnight or over a weekend."

In addition to providing online service and transaction opportunities, the
expansion of RFB&D's web presence supports the organization's nationwide
efforts to expand awareness of RFB&D and the effectiveness of its services.
"RFB&D's web presence is potentially the most immediate and viable means for
us to communicate our effectiveness as an accommodation for students with
print disabilities," explained George Taber, a member of RFB&D's national
board of directors and chairman of its communications advisory committee.
"We developed www.rfbd.org to make sure that, architecturally and
graphically, we provide a consistent and accurate portrayal of the value of
RFB&D's work."

In addition to the public website, RFB&D also launched its intranet to
facilitate internal communications among RFB&D staff and volunteers at its
Princeton, NJ, headquarters and at its recording facilities nationwide.

additional media inquiries:
RFB&D News Desk 1-800-803-7201
media e-mail inquiries: [log in to unmask]

Check out EASI New Synchronous Clinics:
http://easi.cc/clinic.htm
EASI Home Page http://www.rit.edu/~easi
Online courses  and Clinics http://easi.cc/workshop.htm
Check the EASI Library Web http://www.rit.edu/~easi/lib.htm

>>> Error in line 8 of AXSLIB-L.MAILTPL: unknown formatting command <<<