VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 2006 17:57:50 -0500
7bit
From:
Lynn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Hello Morey and interested parties:

Well gather all the gumption you can muster because you are going to need it
and a wad of cash also.

Microsoft is coming out with a little upgrade that will replace Windows XP
and change computing, as we now know it forever.

 Perhaps I am being a bit dramatic here. The new operating system is called
VISTA. It will handle 64-bit processing.  If your computer is more than 5
years old then you will need a new computer.

If your computer system can handle it you might consider upgrading to XP.

Don't rush out right now with your VISA to by VISTA because It want be
released until the end of the year. I don't thing the complete system
requirements for VISTA have been released yet. If you could take the time to
google the phrase, system requirements for VISTA you would find plenty of
information.

The rest of my post was copied from the Kim Komando web site

http://www.komando.com/tips_show.asp?showID=9431

      Should you upgrade now?

      Q. I'm using a 5+-year-old machine with Windows 98. It would be nice
to have a new machine, but I can get by with what I have. Should I get an XP
machine, even though XP's lifecycle is running out? Or, should I wait for
the new operating system (Vista). Thanks for the great show. -- West in
Seattle, listening on KTTH 770 AM

      A. We run into this issue every few years. In the case of Windows XP,
which came out in 2001, the decision was easy. It replaced Windows ME, the
last DOS-based operating system. XP was a definite improvement.

      Windows Vista (the new name for Windows Longhorn) will debut in late
2006. One of our guys just went to Redmond for a Microsoft briefing. Most
changes apparently are cosmetic.

      Vista does not sound like it has much in the way of security
improvements, other than a better firewall. So that's no reason to dump XP.
And, as I said, XP is very stable. I think it's an excellent operating
system.

      It is possible, of course, that fabulous security features will be
added to Vista. Then, I'd say go for it. But that doesn't appear to be the
case now.

      Buying a new computer is an emotional decision. Some people just like
to have new things. Others hold on to their old one as long as possible, to
avoid the expense.

      If your computer does what you want it to, why not stick with it? Most
people switch when they decide to do something demanding, like video
editing. They discover the old clunker won't do the job. At that point, it's
clearly time to trade up.

      I also recommend buying new when expensive parts begin to fail. It's
easy to dump too much money into repairs. Labor is expensive. Before you
know it, you've exceeded the cost of a new machine.

      If you buy an XP machine, you will, at worst, have an older but very
capable operating system. It is unlikely that that will be a problem.
Windows 98 is seven years old, and you're still able to use it.

      Vista will probably offer an upgrade version for XP owners. That may
or may not be OK; the XP upgrade did not work well, in my experience