VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"VICUG-L: Visually Impaired Computer Users' Group List" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Lynn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:34:45 -0500
7bit
Hello Listers:
This was a Kim Komando tip for today; February 16.

Solution for a failing fan

Q. My computer was making growling sounds. It was a bad bearing on my
chip fan. I removed it, and left the computer side open. Next to it,
I put a tabletop fan, which blows air into it. It cools the chip and
keeps out the dust that collects inside! This seems to me to be a
perfect solution!

A. Hmmmm. You're right; this should keep your computer cool and
relatively clean. But it strikes me as a bit inelegant.

Actually, I've done the same thing. But it has been a temporary fix,
until I could get a replacement microprocessor fan. External fans
are too bulky, no matter how small. Besides, they offend my sense
of computer fashion. It's a definite glamour don't.

However, I wanted to use your comment because it's a good excuse to
talk about cooling systems. Most people never think about this (and
never need to!). But a dead fan can cause all kinds of grief. For
instance, most microprocessors simply shut down when they overheat.
Excessive heat makes computers do weird things.

Many computers have more than one internal fan. My home computer has
10, for heaven's sake! It sounds like Lindbergh taking off for Paris.

The fan on the power supply is critical. Modern computers usually
have a fan atop the microprocessor, and one on the video chip. You
may also have intake fans on the front of the computer, and exhaust
fans on the side or back. Intake and exhaust fans are less critical.

If you get a grinding (or growling) noise, it's coming from a moving
part. It could be a bad hard drive. In that case, trouble is right
around the corner. Replace the hard drive immediately.

More likely, it is a fan bearing. Microprocessor fans are widely
available. Just replace the thing and be done with it. Should the noise
be a power supply fan, replace the power supply. You can get a good one
for less than $50. Power supplies are accessed with four screws through
the back of the computer.

Never open a power supply; electricity is stored there! You (or
your heirs) should get a power supply with the same wattage at an
electronics store.

Video fans may be replaceable. If not, replace the whole card. If the
video fan is built in to the motherboard, you may be able to replace
it. If not, the external fan solution could be used. That is, if you
can put up with the lack of elegance!