Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 2004 19:56:12 -0500
Hi Chris.

Well, the difference between RG58U and RG8X is that RG8X is slightly larger
in diameter.  It has the same diameter as RG59U (the stuff they use for
television antenna systems), but it is of course 52 ohms, instead of 75
ohms like the TV stuff.  RG8X is a little better in its loss
characteristics than RG58U, but not generally as good as RG8U.  It is
acceptable for 160 through 6 meters, and I've even used it on 2 meters when
I can keep the length down to 50 feet or less.  RG8X is poor for work at
frequencies above 2 meters.  If you use RG8X instead of RG58U, and you use
the solder type PL259s, bear in mind that RG8X uses a different reducer
than RG58U does to make contact with the braid of the coax.  RG8X uses the
UG176 reducers, while RG58U uses the UG175 reducers.  And, I can tell you
from personal experience that it is a bad idea to use the crimp on
connectors made for RG58U on RG8X!

Hope this helps.

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 04:05 PM 4/1/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello,
>I'm a bit unknowledgeable about the different 52 ohm coaxes currently
>available.  For example, what is the differences between rg-58cu and rg-8x.
>Are they designed for different frequencies, power, or weather conditions?
>I'm not looking for too much detail but some general pointers would be
>helpful.
>
>73, Chris w1gm

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK