From:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 2004 10:58:36 -0500

My Question:  If you've used Tofutti cheeses for pizza, what has been
your opinion?  I can't imagine a soy cheese will taste as good as real
mozzarella; I'm too fussy about the taste of food to eat a pizza that
doesn't taste as good as it used to when I ate both gluten and dairy.
I'll summarize.

SUMMARY - Basically it was a split set of opinions - 3 said Tofutti
cheese is good enough to eat, 3 others said it's not as good as real
cheese.  However, I felt the Tofutti cheese was 'damned by faint
praise.'  That is, even the folks who claimed Tofutti cheese was good
enough to eat couldn't say anything really positive about the flavor.
So, I won't bother to make a dairy free, gluten-free pizza.

I also got additional input on other Tofutti products, on alternative to
cheese, and on alternative sources of info about dairy free/gluten free
products.  Message excerpts follow.

************************

3 votes:  Tofutti cheese is good enough to eat:
--"anyway the cheese does melt on pizza and is the closest I have found
to REAL cheese.  It is not as stringy as mozzarella but not bad compared
to a lot of the others out there.(fake cheese I mean)"
--"I have used the Toffuti cheeses and have really loved them, esp.
since they do melt, unlike any other cheese that is totally dairy free,
make great grilled cheese...LOL"
--" Tofutti cheese is pretty good. Melts better than you might think."

3 votes:  Tofutti cheese isn't as good as 'real' cheese
--"They are a whole 'other thing' IMO and cannot be compared to eating
cheese."
--"Every substitute cheese I have ever had has never come close to the
real thing...never......"
--"Tofutti American cheese does not melt. I use Soymage American cheese
and it doesn't melt either. It doesn't really taste like cheese. Tofutti
is better."

**********************************

Other Tofutti products
--"Tofutti cream cheese is great."
--" They also make wonderful Better than Sour Cream and Better than
Cream Cheese."
--"Sour Supreme is actually better tasting than real sour cream.  But
the cream cheese is barely tolerable.  Some of their ice creams are
tasty, others are not.  But in general they sweeten their ice creams too
much."

Alternatives to processed cheese:
--"Drizzle with really good olive oil instead...."
--" Now I have found a source of milk/dairy directly from local,
reputable, caring farmers.  Not only am I tolerating it, but since I
started it I am thriving.  It has been perhaps one of the biggest
components to my healing a damaged gut.  If you're interested you can
check out the website at
http://realmilk.com/
Hopefully there's a source near you."

Alternative sources of info on cheese:
--"I would suggest you to ask your questions at this other excellent
site:  http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages
There are very kind & knowledgeable people there, among them doctors, to
answer your questions."