Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 2004 23:10:16 -0700

I received 21 enthusiastic responses.  All who owns a hand blender enjoys
using them and all but one  considers them worth the little space they
take up.  Much of what was shared was redundant so I'll include only a
few representative responses. The major difference of opinion was whether
to buy one with detachable blades or not.
9 own Braun
6 own Cuisinart
1 owns a Faberware
1 owns a Kitchen aid
1 owns a Krup
1 owns a Hamilton Beach
2 didn't mention the brand
        Before I posted this question to the list, I originally bought a $10
Sunbeam hand blender from Walmart.  It was awkward & not very powerful so
I returned it.  The neck was thick so it displaced a lot of fluid in the
container.  After getting so many good responses from the list members, I
decided to get a Braun.  But, then I stumbled upon a Cuisinart Quick Prep
at a discount store for only $14 (less than 1/2 retail), so I snatched it
up quickly.  I like it so far.  It has a lot more power than the Sunbeam
& is easier to handle.  It also has a narrow neck that doesn't displace
much of the liquid so I can blend in a small container.  The blades are
not detachable, but I don't find that too much of an inconvenience as
yet.  Besides, for $14, who's complaining!  If I find I use it a enough
to be worth it, I may decide later to buy a more expensive model with
more features.  ~ Val

[My comments appear in brackets.]
-------------
We have ... Braun Turbo model . . . I use the hand blender fairly often,
especially when I am making jam (all summer and fall, usually). It works
great to puree the hot fruit if it doesn't cook down fast enough, safer
than transfering it to blender, etc. Always great for any hot liquids, or
pureeing. The new basic model would have been good enough, except we love
that turbo button!
-------------
. . . We've had a handheld blender for years even before I was diagnosed
with celiac and it is absolutely the best kitchen tool for making soups.
It eliminates the messy and time-consuming step of pouring hot liquid
from pot to food processor or blender, and there's also less cleaning up
to do as a result. It takes up very little space in the kitchen -- it's
about the size of a rolling pin or even smaller --  and is very
reasonably priced (we have a Braun). Now that I'm making even more soups
I definitely appreciate having one.  Best, Ellen
------------
I love my hand held blender and bought it from the shopping channel.  I
make my own ice cream using frozen fruit, skim milk, some yogurt and some
sugar twin, it's delicious and low calorie, or of course you can use
frozen fruit and real cream, you can also add some tofu if you like,
experiment, you'll love it.  That's the main use, and I would buy another
one if this one died, you can also make your own mayonnaise, and I blend
up homemade soups, and it's great for baby food.  Enjoy!  Sherry from
Canada
------------
I have the Cuisinart QuickPrep and I love it.  I use it mostly for making
homemade spaghetti sauce and other sauces.  I don't use it often, but to
me it is definitely worth the small expense to have around. -Ci-Ci
Thomson
-------------
After I bought a Braun hand held blender at Target for $20, I gave my
processor to Goodwill.  It has done a great job on mashed potatoes, and
smoothies.  My latest passion is Garden of Life's Perfect Food and I
whisk it up using the handheld.  Jennifer, VA
------------
I got a Braun a few years ago for $20 at Walmart.  It . . . separates at
the motor & also came with a small food processor attachment.  I really
like the fact that it's half as long since it fits in the cupboard better
than traditional one does. It is also easier to clean since the tool part
can washed without worrying about the motor getting wet . . . I had used
a friends traditional wand prior to buying mine & didn't like the effort
it took to wash it.  If I had to do it over again, I'd hold out for
another separating one.  -Bev in Milwaukee
-----------
I have a Braun handhead, . . . It saves me enormous time being able to
take the blender to the pot, instead of the ingredients, in batches, to a
stationary blender. -Cathy
[Q: Does yours have detachable blades?]
No, but, they are extremely easy to rinse and clean with a soapy
sponge... I
never had any problem.
I have a Cuisinart brand one . . .   I really like it-- one limitation is
that you can't get a large quantity "perfectly" smooth like a blender but
the convenience makes up for perfection in my eyes. You also can't really
mix frozen smoothies/margaritas/etc the same as in a blender.  Good luck!
:) Selena

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!