EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jack Clevenger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 May 2005 17:05:03 -0700
Katherine,

It probably will not be an effective use of funds
to purchase a loop system.  Check with the
state commission for the hearing impaired
and deaf and I am sure that they can advise
your college as to what to consider.  The
limitation with a loop in the meeting room is
that....just that room.  That is also limiting
your institution to whatever there are for
receivers.

Why not consider portable FM or infrared
systems that will work for whomever; the
hard of hearing without hearing aids, the
hearing aid users, and the cochlear
implant users.  Again, the commission
in your state can help you.

For what it is worth.

Jack Clevenger, Manager
Disability Resources and Services
Mesa Community College
Mesa, AZ

Our library is considering getting a loop for amplification
of sound in one of our meeting rooms.  Does anyone
know what percent of hearing aids are compatible with
them, do they break down much, and generally how worth
it they are?  Thanks.  Kathie

Katherine Schneider, Ph.D.
Senior Psychologist, Emerita
Counseling Service