From:
Joyce C Jamerson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joyce C Jamerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 2004 10:02:28 -0400

Friends,
I queried this list a few weeks ago with this information:

Four years ago, my allergist ordered these tests.
> Endomysial AB IgA        negative
> Reticulin IgA AB            negative
> Reticulin IgG  AB           high at 1:160
> Antigliadin Abs, IgA       negative
> Antigliadin Abs, Igg        high at 75
> IgA                             high at 103
> F79 gluten                    normal at 280

Recently, a new doctor ordered additional testing and this was the
result:
>Gliadin AB IGG           High at 42
> Gliadin AB IGA           negative at 7

His diagnosis was:  Celiac disease

When I returned again, I questioned him as to the standard for diagnosing
Celiac.  There seems to be so much variation depending to whom you go.
(Allergist tells me I don't have it; this doc tells me I do, etc.)   He,
of course, said the gold standard is the biopsy, but I am not going to
make myself that sick doing the gluten challenge.  (I've been GF- to the
best of my knowledge- for 3 years and have/will continue to do so).   So
he ordered the Ttg, and just this a.m. I received the results and it is
negative.  Would being GF affect the results of this testing?

My fear is that the problem is not yet addressed and I will continue to
lose weight.  I have one more month in central Florida and then will move
to N. Al.   The hunt for a new, knowledgable doctor will be a challenge
so you can understand my need.
One respondent has suggested possibility of parasites, and I will bring
that up at my next visit in 2 weeks.  Any other comments or suggestions?
I appreciate all the advice received as to supplements, testing, etc. but
I am especially inquiring about what other conditions could produce this
type situation and would being GF affect the ttg test results.

Thank you for your input,
JJ