Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 2004 16:05:51 -0500

Here is Part 2:

6."We have heard of it but have not threatened to utilize it so far as I am a squeaky wheel anyway and so far the school has met my requests.  I have said in at least one meeting, "You know, my daughter is protected under the 504 Act...," which was enough.
 By microwaving her meals for her in the cafeteria (I provide all her food in her own containers), and by the classroom "celebrations" with her needs in mind. Reinvent the wheel every year. I start from scratch with every teacher on educating them with Celiac, etc.  I find the free handouts I get from CSA/USA on "Your Student Has Celiac Disease," etc. very helpful.  Having anything in black and white to hand them is key. Take nothing for granted, assume nothing and get in the principal's face early on. They are the one who is ultimately responsible for your child's welfare. "

7."My daughter was diagnosed with CD spring of Jr. year in high school. She was already 504 classified due to extreme migraines. She does not take a regular gym class, has extra time for assignments (even though she is taking 4 A.P. courses this year) Has extra time for school tests & standardized tests such as SAT's. (Scored 1350, so was worth it!)Has 2 periods in a row for lunch, so she can come home & cook for herself every day (she drives). Recommend everyone look into this plan, my daughter goes to Garden City High School, Garden City, N.Y. and her guidance dept & teaching staff has been very supportive."

8."My child has had a 504 Plan for CD since 2002
The school is now trying to deny that she qualifies for the 504 Plan,
saying that Celiac Disease doesn't meet the requirements of "substantially
limits a major life activity" Through her 504 Plan (which, according to Ct State Dept of Ed must remain
in effect while we await an "impartial hearing") the accommodations they have
made are to allow her to store gf food and snacks (which I supply) in the
nurses office, gf bread (which I supply) in the freezer, use the microwave there to
heat up her food, notify me if there will be any school celebration/party
involving food so I can send in something gf and unlimited bathroom access. At
the first 504 Plan meeting (2 years ago) I had requested that they find out
which foods, if any, that were sold in the cafeteria are gluten free. They sent me
a list of the ingredients of some of the foods, but no indication if they
were gf or not.
Now they are trying to deny that she qualifies for 504 because "she's
doing fine in school" (which is totally irrelevant - 504 has to do with physical
disability, not learning disability) and "once she's on the diet she's better".
Oh, really? I guess we should ignore what happens any time there is
accidental gluten ingestion (from cross-contamination or error)"

9."I have worked with two very different school
situations for my daughter, now 9 years old and in
third grade. Both schools accepted her 504 status with
the GI's letter. Both school cooks carefully and
wholeheartedly prepared hot lunches for her. They have
been a blessing to work with. I make GF mac and
cheese, GF pizza, GF muffins, GF sticky Buns, GF
desserts, etc. for the school to keep in their freezer
and use. I just started providing them with GF bread
from her new bread machine. The school district
nutritionist modifies the menu substituting GF food
where needed and purchasing what the cook needs. The
cook however, has the final say in what my daughter
actually eats every day. She is wonderful. Elisabeth's
tray is prepared first, covered and set aside. When
she comes through the line, she gets her own tray, and
sits with her friends.
Apparently, its a status thing for a friend to go with
her to get her tray!"

10."have heard of it but never bothered to request a 504 Plan because you
think it is unnecessary ..I would not trust the school to supply GF diet"

11."I find the 504 plan designation gives muscle to your request for help from
teachers and staff. They seem to listen and to understand the more serious
nature of your request when it comes under the umbrella of the 504 plan. For
example, in seventh grade, my daughter's FACS teacher neglected to send home
the menu even though she had promised to do so on the phone. Ok, people make
mistakes, but she then turned on my daughter and blamed her, saying my
daughter was responsible for telling her that she needed to send home the
menu. 504 plan clearly indicates that the responsibility lies with the
teacher. Also, the school has a staff member in charge of 504, which means
you have someone to go to if you have this kind of problem, someone who is
taking it very seriously."

12."think it is unnecessary- I think it would only make her feel more different. My daughter was diagnosed in 6th grade- by then, she knew enough what she could and couldn't eat. If she had been younger, we might have investigated it further"

13."I have a 13 year old daughter with celiac. No, she has never had a 504, although I know first hand all about IEP's and 504's with my son. The elementary schools always heated up meals I sent in, etc. But when Meg got to the middle school they refused to do even that. Then they sent a notice home that very day regarding free lunches, which stated if your child has a medical condition that requires a special diet, there would be no extra charge. Then I called my attorney. The ADA protects our children, and by law they have to buy and prepare all lunches for our children. Once presented to the school, they cooperated fully. Not that they had much choice. I educated them and shared my resources, and that state sent in a registered dietician to work with the staff. It has been 3 years, and we have had no problem since. I don't think a 504 is necessary."

14."I am a elementary school teacher and have a 16 year old son who was
diagnosed with Celiac when he was 3. I am very familiar with a 504 Plan
and see no need to go to that extreme to meet my child's needs. I
believe open communication with the school is the key. Everyone from the
classroom teachers to the cooks have been very good about listening to
us and make the necessary changes. My son also has asthma and is
currently taking growth hormone shots daily so there is even more
involved than just Celiac."

15."no I do not have a 504 plan. Truthfully I think it is my responsibility to follow up on my child's needs and do not expect the school to help unless I specifically request it.  I supply her food and check with room mom's about parties.  I connect with her teacher's and make them aware to notify me of food situations. Having been a room mom, I think it is crucial for the parent of the child in need to be the advocate.  Whenever I do my part, I find people are thoughtful and wanting to help in any way possible. If I felt my child's needs were not being met, I would pursue the 504."