From:
Ron Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ron Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 21:04:31 -0500

This is the second summary from my inquiry on qluten free lipstick. I am
still waiting on some information from three different companies, so the
third post will be required. I am trying to cover every meaningful
comment that that may be a help to anyone interested.

One listmate said that when she last checked, Revlon was not GF, but she
did not know about Clinique.

One listmate says to use Ecco Bella, which is gluten free, and has only
a few ingredients. It is very hypoallergenic for people with lots of
allergies. Information can be found at http://www.eccobella.com First
click on United States, then on cosmetics, and scroll down to lipsticks.
Lip crayons are for outlining; flower lip colors are lipsticks - they
are just showing them removed from their cases.

This is the response I received from my telephone call concerning gluten
free status of Revlon and Almay products: Dear Mrs. Jackson:

We have received your telephone call, and wish to thank you for your
interest in Revlon and Almay products.

Unfortunately, because of the way cosmetic ingredients are made and
transported, we cannot guarantee that a product is gluten free.

If we can be of further assistance in helping you locate your favorite
products, please feel free to call 1-800-473-8566. Hours of operation
are Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 5:00 PM. Any of our
representatives will be glad to help you. Sincerely, Amanda Vaughn
Consumer Information Representative

Another listmate says she has a teenager with CD, and that she is a Mary
Kay Senior Sales Director. She has obtained a list of the entire MK
line, and knows what is, and what is not, GF. For any assistance with
these products, contact Laura K. Miller [log in to unmask], or
www.marykay.com/lauramiller 651-9413

I called the Estee Lauder company, and requested a list of gluten free
lipsticks, and received the following e-mail from them:

Thank you for contacting us regarding the ingredients in our products
that might be unsuitable for you to use because of your specific
condition.

We are attaching a list of grain-derived ingredients, found on our
labels, which will be helpful in providing you direction. This
information covers products marketed under the following trademarks:
Estee Lauder, Inc.; Clinique Laboratories, Inc.; Aramis, Inc.; Origins
Natural Resources, Inc.; Bobbi Brown essentials; Tommy Hilfiger
Toiletries, Inc.; MAC, Stila, and Prescriptives, Inc.

Consumers will find ingredient listings on our primary packaging
material, in accordance with FDA regulations, using names which are
standard throughout the cosmetic and fragrance industry. Because of the
vast number of raw materials from different sources, it is not possible
to guarantee that our products are completely free of any of the grains
specified. The denatured ethyl alcohol in our products is produced
synthetically, with the exception of the denatured ethyl alcohol in MAC
products, which is derived from corn.

In reqards to you inquiry, the following lipsticks are gluten free:

Long Last Soft Matte Lipstick Different Lipstick Almost Lipstick Color
Surge Lipstick Stay the Day Lipcolor Moisture Sheer Lipstick

We trust that this information is helpful to you and are glad to have
been of assistance, Sincerely, Jennifer Conners

The attached list of grain derived ingredients was over two pages long,
and may be obtained by contacting the Estee Lauder website at

Another listmate also received an e-mail message from Estee Lauder.
Their reply to her is as follows:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us, and for your interest in
Estee Lauder.

With regard to your inquiry, for gluten, we consider wheat, corn, so,
barley, rye and oat. Please find below a list of our lipstick products,
and the grain they all contain is soy.

All Day Lipstick - soy Futurist Full treatment Lipstick SPF 15 - soy
Pure Color Longlasting Lipstick - soy Pure Color Crystal Lipstick - soy
Pure Color Velvet Lipstick - soy Sumptuous Lipstick - soy Pure Color
Gloss - soy Pure Color Crystal Gloss - soy Pure Color Lip vinyl - soy

We hope that the above addresses your concern. We hope that you will
look to Estee Lauder for all your beauty and fragrance needs, Sincerely,
Elizabeth C. Rader Global Consumer Communications

I contacted Neutrogena and requested a list of gluten free lipstick.
This is their reply:

Neutrogena Lip Boost Moisture Lipstick is gluten free. Attached is a
list of gluten free products, in Microsoft Excel format. Thank you for
you comments on www.neutrogena.com Please visit us again soon, as our
website is constantly growing and changing. Anyone interested can visit
the site, and obtain the three pages of gluten free products they
provided, which did not list any additional gluten free lipsticks.

Another listmate said that she had been using and selling Avon lipstick
since she had first been diagnosed with celiac in 1999, and has had no
problem with it. It is a good product, and has been listed as gluten
free for the past few years.

I received a second e-mail from Ecco Bella concerning ingredients used
in their lipsticks. I am including her response to me below, ver batum.

I just wanted to get back to you reqarding your inquiry as to whether
our lipsticks contain gluten. Our lipsticks do not contain gluten. Below
are the ingredients in our Flower Color Lipsticks:

Castor Oil, Isopropyl palmitate (from palm oil), candellia wax, 100IU
Vitamin E, organic calendula oil, organic chamomile oil, organic jojoba
oil, and flower coated iron oxide. The following colors also contain
Carmine: Pink Rose, Mauve Rose, Claret Rose, Tuscany Rose, and Napa
Grape.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me at
877-696-2220, Ext. 23. Have a great day. Regards, Angela, Ecco Bella
Customer Service

This completes the majority of the comments I have received so far. I am
still waiting on the information promised from some companies, and have
contacted some of the listmates concerning comments made in their reply
to me. When this information is received and sorted out, I will send in
the third and final summary

Betty Jackson
Knoxville, Tennessee,   37921-2303