From:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 10:13:50 -0500

Thanks to everyone for their advice and input!  It sounds like the paddles
aren't really a big deal to remove from the bread, leaving only a couple of
holes in the bottom.  I don't know how many of you are interested in a
summary of what I got, but I'm providing one because I did get some good
tips on settings, timing and a couple of recipes.  Now to find room in my
kitchen for ANOTHER small appliance!  Joy in Arizona

 I just gave my old Zojirushi away last week. The reason I gave it away was
that we used it before we became GF and I feared conmanination from it. The
paddle is in place during the baking process. Therefore when you take the
bread out there is an intention about 3" long and 1" deep into the loaf. It
would only be a problem if you wanted a perfect looking loaf on the bottom
of the loaf.
There are a number of discussions in the archives talking about the best
bread maker for GF baking.
*****************
Yes, the paddles get baked in the loaf, but when you turn the pan over to
get the bread out, the paddles stay in the pan.  The bread just has two
holes in the bottom of the loaf.  I have been using one for 4 years, and I
tried taking the paddles out before baking, and the bread stuck really bad
to the two paddle posts in the pan.  The posts are not coated for non-stick,
but the paddles are.  That's a good price, and I have loved my Zo.
*******************
I use this break maker. The mixing paddles create two holes in the bottom of
the loaf, but I've never had it happen where the paddles stay in the loaf.
The paddles do sorta "lock" on.

*******************
We bought one of those in the BX many years ago.  My wife says it is
much easier and faster to do it in the oven.  I think she got rid of ours
and to tell you the truth I seldom eat bread.  If so, it is cornbread as I
am "southern."
********************
My Zoji is sitting under the stairs...it does not do a good job on
GF breads, it kneads them too much and doesn't bake them long enough.
And yes, the paddles get baked into the bread which creates a whole
when you take them out. Sometimes you don't mind, I save all the crumbs
for stuffings, etc.   The instruction manual for the machine tels you you
can program
it, but I have yet to figure out how to make it bake longer...the timer
only goes so far, and even setting the crust on dark, it didn't bnake
long enough.

********************
We recently purchased one of these, and have made about 5 loaves so far.
Like all bread machines, the paddles are "baked in" to the bottom of the
loaf, but slip right out when you remove the loaf from the pan.
*********************

I bought a zojirushi bread maker for xmas and LOVE it! I got the newest
model and am glad I did (BBCC-X20)

My paddles do NOT stay in the bread (however they do make holes).  Bette
Hagman recommends using plastic tongs to remove them just before the bake
cycle if you don't want holes, but I don't bother.

I HIGHLY recommend spending the extra $50 or so for the newest model
BBCC-X20 because you can open the top without interrupting the cycle and it
has a stronger motor.  This is a nice feature as I DO need to use a spatula
(only once) to scrape down sides once it starts mixing and "ease" the dough
into mixing smoothly.

I use Bette Hagman's Basic Featherlight Rice Bread recipe with the almond
featherlight bread variation and it comes out the most like real bread I've
ever found.  I loved to bake regular bread before being diagnosed CD, and
this is almost the real thing!  The machine makes her large loaf, and I've
programmed it for that recipe as follows:  preheat 15, knead 30, rise1 0,
rise2 0, rise3 50, bake 50, cool 0.  perfect every time!

*********************
Sometimes the Paddles do get baked into the loaf but it is no big thing to
get them out I have had my Zog since October and I would not trade it for
anything.
*********************
They are non stick paddles and the bread falls right off. Have had mine for
years and they do GF breads fine.  Just one knead and one rise.  It is
programmable.
********************
I have found there is a 50% chance that the paddles get
baked in the bread. I haven't figured out what is the deciding factor that
encourages the paddles to get baked into the loaf.
*****************
The paddle is small. It gets baked into the bottom of the loaf. When you
dump the loaf out, you just pull it out. I love my machine, but I have a
problem with the kneading motion. I have to manually hold the container of
dough down for the paddles to knead, otherwise it only gets the bottom of
the dough. I really need to find out what I'm doing wrong...maybe need more
liquid.
********************
Hi,  I love my Zo and couldn't be without it.  I use it for GF breads and
regular breads for my hubby.  I wash very thoroughly and have never had any
problems with cross contamination. I
think it's the best machine on the market. Good luck to you.
***************
I have had no problems with my Z machine (that is what we call it at our
house) it works great, the paddles have gotten stuck twice, both times I did
not twist them and lock them in place.
*****************
I bought a Zojirushi bread maker last year (after a Celiac diagnosis).
 I am very happy with the machine.  The two mixing paddles are about 1 1/2 "
high and about 3 - 4" long.  Yes, the do stick in the bottom of the loaf,
but they are easily removed and do not damage the loaf.  I paid about $149
but I've seen them lower.  One thing I like is the ability to modify the
settings for GF bread.
 I have tried various bread mixes and the ones that I am happiest with are
the mixes from Kinnikinnick. http://www.kinnikinnick.com/  (I have no
affiliation with any of these companies).
*********************
I bought my ZO from Amazon a year ago and it is WONDERFUL.At that time the
offered the same price, with the free shipping and two bread knives which
have been invaluable.

I have a friend who leaves the blades in and says that it's no big deal,
but, I feel that if this is the only bread my son eats (except for the
ocassional sweet baked in the oven) I want it to look as close to "ordinary"
bread as possible.

If you do buy this unit, save yourself the grief of guesswork on times for
each stage and go to the Gluten Free Pantry website. The exact way to
preheat, knead and bake is under the FAQ section.

I remove my paddles right before the end of the kneading stage. I open the
lid and scoop as much of the dough as possible to the other side with a
rubber spatula and gently ply under the paddle with a large plastic (teflon)
fork (the kind you'd find in metal in a grilling kit). I try to scrape off
as much of the dough and put back into the loaf pan. Then I smooth it all
back in and bake. It is a gooey process but, it works!

Also, we use the GF Pantry Favorite Bread mix and I think it's excellent.

Good Luck and please share your successes (mixes or recipes that are
particularly good)  Good luck.
Yes, sometimes the paddles do come off and get baked in the bottom of the
loaf, but are easily removed.  They are easy to clean.  Sounds like a great
deal through Amazon.com!