Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Sara Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 11:14:08 -0600

I want to thank everyone who responded to my questions about soy and annatto
intolerances.  Unfortunately, many of the responses contradicted each other
and no one was able to address my 2 main questions:
1. Are these symptoms characteristic of an intolerance?
2. Is annatto always declared on ingredients lists?
I have summarized the information that I received:

1 person responded that nearly all processed foods make them sick and
therefore has given up all processed foods except for occasional rice flour
& corn starch and feels healthier as a result.

2 people sent me warnings re: the dangers of eating to soy,
with the following reference: http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/index.html

1 person suggested eliminating corn and canola oil. They stated that canola
oil contains something which produces a reaction similar to gluten

1 person said that they eat soy products all the time but also got very sick
from the Silk SoyNog.

3 people also had trouble with soy products, with one describing gas and an
uncomfortable feelings", one also had problems with grain carbs, and one
describing it as a “gluten-like” reaction.

1 person responded that they were intolerant of Annatto but not soy.

1 person responded that they were also intolerant of both soy and annatto
(their only 2 intolerances)

2 people warned that annatto coloring was not gluten free because of the
alcohol used during processing, with the following references:

CFR Title 21 Sec. 73.30 Annatto extract.
(a) Identity. (1) The color additive annatto extract is an extract prepared
from annatto seed, Bixa orellana L., using any one or an appropriate
combination of the food-grade extractants listed in paragraph (a)(1) (i) and
(ii) of this section: (i) Alkaline aqueous solution, alkaline propylene
glycol, ethyl alcohol or alkaline solutions thereof, edible vegetable oils
or fats, mono- and diglycerides from the glycerolysis of edible vegetable
oils or fats. The alkaline alcohol or aqueous extracts may be treated with
food- grade acids to precipitate annatto pigments, which are separated from
the liquid and dried, with or without intermediate recrystallization, using
the solvents listed under paragraph (a)(1)(ii) of this section. Food-grade
alkalis or carbonates may be added to adjust alkalinity. (ii) Acetone,
ethylene dichloride, hexane, isopropyl alcohol, methyl alcohol, methylene
chloride, trichloroethylene.

2 people said that Annato is gluten free with the following references
provided:
<http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info/factsheets/Factannatto.htm>.
<http://faculty.swosu.edu/scott.long/txcl/foodadd.htm

Optimize your Internet experience to the max with the new MSN Premium
Internet Software. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200359ave/direct/01/