From:
Jerry Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jerry Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 2004 17:34:12 -0700

Hi everyone

I have a strange one for you. I can't believe that
this is true but this is what is happening.

I bought some thin cut steaks at a supermarket that I
will not name. These are like round steak slices or
sirloin slices. The beef is maybe 1/4 inch thick, a
circular section about 3 to 4 inches across. Nothing
special, like 4 or 5 steak slices in a package that I
paid $4 to buy.

Ok I was broiling these steak slices in a clean
broiler. I used a little bit of olive oil in the pan &
drop a steak slice on it, coat the steak with the oil
on both sides, then broil it at 425 degrees for about
20-25 minutes.

I ate the first one of these things and was surprised
to get diarrhea the next day. In fact, I got diarrhea
for about three days, pain in the abdomen, pain over
my body, I get a neuropathy like response when I get a
problem in my gut, nerves start hurting all over the
place until the gut problem clears up. The Sjogren's I
have flares up also when my gut gets inflamed: nose &
sinuses & mouth get dry (at night especially) for as
long as the gut thing goes on. So all this happened,
and it all happens whenever I eat gluten too. In fact
it took me about a week to fully get over that one
slice of steak.

So I left the other steaks in the freezer in a freezer
bag until I recovered from this one slice of steak.
Then I bought some cubed steaks at that same
supermarket. It was 4 in package, like $5 for these.
So I tried cooking one of these the same way as I did
the other steaks: in the broiler with a little olive
oil at 425 degrees. I crossed my fingers & tried part
of one (about one-quarter a steak). Result? Nothing.
Like I ate a piece of steak, that's all. No
"gluten-like" response this time.

So I ate these cubed steaks & was fine with all of
them.

Then I was thinking, ok, what is going on with these
other steaks then?

So I cooked another one, tried a part of it, same
thing as with the first one: diarrhea for days,
gluten-like symptoms in me. Now I'm really baffled.

I toss that steak (actually gave it to the dog, he was
fine with it & wanted more) & broil another one out of
the pack & tried it. I waited till I fully recovered
before trying this one, in other words I waited about
a week to try another one.

The results? Diarrhea for days, & a gluten-like
reaction in me (pain, dry mouth & sinuses, etc). It
took another week to get over it.

I've got two of these steaks left in the freezer
package and at this point, I'm not eating them, not
cooking them (not even for the dog, he's out of luck
but he got two slices already so he did good). But now
I'm baffled at this. I told my friends about it, they
are telling me something that I think is impossible,
but I'm hearing it from a few of them now:

Grain-fed cows maybe?

I mean come on, this can't be. I mean, there is no
way... this can't be possible right? I mean if you
feed a cow a gluten grain it should be impossible for
the gluten to get in to the beef, right?

Somebody tell me that this is impossible. I don't
believe this is possible. But I'm getting a gluten
response form these steaks. I was thinking maybe they
got a flour contamination on them, so the last steak I
defrosted & washed really well before cooking it but
to no avail, I still got diarrhea from it.

I'm thinking, I've seen those gluten testing kits, I
was thinking about purchasing one to see if that is
the culprit here. But this can't be possible right? I
mean, if this is possible, oh my. Oh no. I mean just
thinking about what it implies is giving me a
headache.

Looking for feedback. I'll summarize.

Jerry
California