From:
Tracie & Tim <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tracie & Tim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 2004 08:48:51 -0600

Hi everyone,
 I posted a while back about DH:  does iodine make it worse;  does anyone have flare-ups right before their period;  and how accurate is the skin biopsy(immunoflorescent) to diagnose DH.  Here is a summary of the responses.  Thank you to all who posted.

Does iodine make it worse:

  Yes- avoid:  iodized salt, vitamins with iodine, ocean products(seafood, fish,seaweed, sushi, carageenan, irish moss, agar agar or any of the alginates(algea) especially in ice cream.  I read an article online which says the iodine sensitivity usually calms down after the IGA deposits are cleared from the skin.

Does anyone have flare-ups right before their period:

Yes, 4 women responded to DH flares right before their period despite being strictly gluten free.

How accurate is the biopsy:

Most said it was very accurate and conclusive

Other Suggestions:

One  person commented that sitting on a heating pad for 30 minutes a night helped curb DH breakouts on her bottom.
Another person suggested L-glutamine and one probiotic capsule at each meal to heal the gut in 6 months.

Thanks!  I think more research would be interesting about how a women's hormones effect DH and/or celiac disease.  There is something to it-why is the question.