From:
Wade Reeser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2004 16:11:42 -0400
As you might imagine, the whole cholesterol-heart disease connection is
confusing.  It seems that the cholesterol-lowering drugs on the market
(statins) do lower risk of heart attack and improve total mortality. But
the specifics of why this is true is not all that clear.  It is likely
that the statins used another mechanism to reduce risk of heart attack
that by chance also happens to lower cholesterol  i.e.  it is not the
lowering of cholesterol that causes the reduction in heart attack.  An
into to this can be found at:
http://www.ravnskov.nu/myth6.htm

Good luck!

  Wade