C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jeremy Persen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 20 Sep 2003 22:34:42 +1200
Hi,

Thank you to everyone who responded to my post about getting used to needing more help - your
messages were fantastic.  I am grateful to you all for sharing your thoughts and experiences with
me, they have definitely helped me sort out my own feelings about this.

I was expecting my request for a review of my needs to take weeks, however, one phone conversation
with my assessor and extra help in the morning has been approved.  I just have to arrange the
details with the support agency that provides my carers and it can start later next week.

At the moment, I feel a bit like I have "given up" in a way.  I didn't think I felt a lot of
pressure (external or self-imposed) to "minimise" my disability, but, apparently so.  A lot of it
is pride on my part.

Anyway, I know that what I am doing is giving myself a lot more time and energy to do some fun
things again.  I have been thinking about some of my neglected friends, hobbies and interests that
I will have the time and energy to catch up with.  Once the extra help is up and working I will, no
doubt, wonder why I didn't do it sooner.

I should read those last two paragraphs in a month and see how much has changed (-:
Thanks again,

Jeremy
Jeremy Persen, Nelson, New Zealand
Email: [log in to unmask]

Any landing you can walk away from is a good one.