From:
Kevin Nathan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kevin Nathan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Feb 2004 17:18:13 -0000
Hi All,

First, let me begin by thanking all who wrote to me answering questions on
this subject.  I also want to thank the guys at I Can Work This thing.com
for all their work and for each of you who has uploaded information to that
site.  I was able to look at and download documentation which helped a lot
in my choice.

Now, for the new arrival.  My XYL and I drove to Portland, Or yesterday to
the HRO store and I stood at the counter with a T90A and a TH-F6A both in my
hands.  Since my use of a handheld is usually on the street with traffic and
other noise, my first test was for volume level before distortion set in.
In this regard, the T90A went into distortion at what seemed to be a fairly
low level of output.  On the other hand, the TH-F6A could be turned so loud
others in the store were giving me a hard time about the volume level and it
still didn't distort.  So, hands down, the Kenwood.  From there on it was a
matter of learning it's functions.  I bought the lighter adapter, a Prime
speaker mic, the programming cable and a little coax adapter to go from SMA
to an SO-239.  Running the radio on the lighter adapter, I was able to plug
in a local repeater there in Portland and work it as we were leaving for
home here in the Seattle area.  Then, when I got home, I downloaded the
programming software and using it, I put all my memories and added new ones
into a file I called home while the radio was charging.  You can also make
menu settings in this program.

Here is the neat part.  When the radio was fully charged, I thought I'd try
putting in my local repeater which has a tone on it.  Just reading the key
chart from I can work this thing.com, I was able to set the repeater
frequency and then set the tone properly with no sighted help whatsoever.
This is the kind of access I have been wanting and which I didn't have on
the Icom T7H I have been using.  Then later, after finalizing the settings
in the programming software, I was able to upload the whole ball of wax into
the radio instead of programming 60 plus memories.

I have a lot to learn yet about the operation of the rig and will give the
manual a more thorough read but first impressions and access are great and I
wanted to share that with anyone who is contemplating a new handheld.  For
those of you who are old TH-F6A hands, do you have any recommendations on
antennas for it?  I have read reviews critical of the stock duck but wonder
if you have found anything better.

Take care and very 73 to all.

Kevin :)
Amateur Radio:  K7RX